Stainless KK on it`s way !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve heard a rumour that Kelly Kettle are launching a stainless steel version over the next few months.

Not sure about prices etc but it`s been a long time coming.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh excellent :D I fret about leaving mine on top of the firebowl incase it melts it seams, this ought to stop the problem :cool:

Wonder how much it will cost though ? and weigh ?

cheers,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
wonder if they'll ever make a titanium one, that material seems to be the ultimate in outdoor cooking!!!

Hardly the ultimate, ultimate in price yes, but not the ultimate for cooking with. Those little T mugs and pots cost an arm and a leg, a Kelly made from the stuff could cost hundreds of pounds

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Don't really see the point in a titanium kettle, might make it lighter but they are bulky items anyway.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
hmmm seems the titanium got a massive slag off, i don't have any titanium stuff because it's too exspensive but if it's no good why do people buy the pan sets that cost loads???

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Because they are both strong and very, very lightweight.

Cheers,
Toddy..........who has her Ti mug and sporks clearly marked :)

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
Also Titanium is naturally non-stick, so easy to clean in the field with no coating to wear off. And the lower conductivity means that you don't burn your lips on a mug like with aluminium or, to a lesser extent, stainless. And it doesn't effect the taste of water.

I have a titanium mug and it's a revelation! Go and pick up something in a camping shop and see how freakily light it is. Then consider the other benefits, and you should see what the fuss is about.

Kelly Kettles are not something I would backpack with, though, too bulky. In a car or canoe-based trip the weight would not be an issue, so the very high cost of a titanium kelly kettle would probably not make sense.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
hmmm seems the titanium got a massive slag off, i don't have any titanium stuff because it's too exspensive but if it's no good why do people buy the pan sets that cost loads???

Because its trendy and now a part of the "uniform" plays a part in its popularity as well;) I'm sad to say that fashion seems to dictate a lot as to "what to have and not to have" in this hobby now in everything from base layers to mugs and it must be daunting to a newbie coming to the site looking at ideas for kit to start off with:(

I think the lower weight attracts a lot of people but as Lurch said, Titanium is not a good metal for cooking with. A mate in the States made a nice firebox from T this year and I can understand that as the weight saved is a lot, I'll post some pictures of that when I can find them:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Found this response from KK in my Spam folder ....

Hi Richard,

We have been working on a stainless steel model over the past 18 mths and
are currently still testing to make sure that there are no problems with
them. Hopefully, we can bring them to the market in late spring this year.

Kind regards,

Patrick Kelly
Director

:red: :red: :red:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
why do people cut the handle of their toothbrush and spoon? to save weight:rolleyes:
Eat fewer pies:D

Just had a look at the KK website - I do like the new stainless version, and an extra 1/2 pint capacity too for the same size, but can't afford the outlay at present.

Also saw they're new stainless mugs with a karabiner for a handle - nice idea as you can clip your mug to something without having to use a separate karabiner attached to the handle which then rattles when it's not clipped to something - I'm rambling - TAXI !!!

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I can never decide on whether a KK is useful or not. On one hand the requirement for an actual fire for anything is excellent but it never seems more useful than a hobo stove or Jetboil unless you will only ever be making drinks and even then it's quite sizeable.

I'm not knocking them, just musing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE