Sports Bike or Cruiser?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
for carrying a passenger and/or gear, you really would want a bigger bike, not only for the additional power (unless you live in norfolk where there are no hills :lmao: ) but for the greater comfort offered by a more substantial machine with a bigger seat etc.

Gailainne

Life Member
When you pass your cbt, you'll be on a 500cc to practise for your full licence, once you've been on the bigger bike I doubt any of the 125's will hold your interest, they did'nt me. I bought a very nice second hand Honda Hornet 600, passed last year, great bike, everyone tells me they're bullet proof, and will last forever.

Good luck with your cbt and your choice.

Stephen

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
when you throw it down the road.

Spoken like a true biker lol.

Not the best advice but i had a prilla RS125 to start and it was absolutely lovely but did cost a fortune to run and bits fell off it regular as clockwork :rolleyes: . Also had an old NSR and a friends RGV was also nice. The trick like everything is to get a good example and do your research before hand, there are loads of websites for every bike. The main things are service items like piston rings every few thousand and nylon gearboxes n stuff :eek:

Above all just treat every other motorist like theyre gonna kill ya please ;)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
for carrying a passenger and/or gear, you really would want a bigger bike, not only for the additional power (unless you live in norfolk where there are no hills :lmao: ) but for the greater comfort offered by a more substantial machine with a bigger seat etc.

Yup, just whatever you do don't expect anyone to ride pillion on a RGV 250 twice, its the most uncomfortable bike I have had the misfortune to go on the back of and theres no way I would get on the back of one again.

I have to say that most 125s are all pretty poor to go on the back of with the possible exception of Trailbikes that are OK.

The problem is that even when you get a bigger bike some pillions take exception to doing 120 and upset the handling anyway. Fussy beggers.

If your having a "people day" use a car, if your having a "me day" have a great time on the bike.

If you can't afford both at the moment then after riding bikes for years on and off and not owning a car (well van actually) till recently I have to admit that cars are far more practical for most people.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Hey up Dances with Wolves, you'll love biking, it's got another great community feeling about it, like on BCUK, it's amazing how many people on bikes will help you when in need too!

The CG125 is definately the starter bike to go for, very reliable, and easy to work n yourself, plus as said in other replies it'll hold it's value.

I've got a Yamaha xjr1300 now, great fun bike, but went through the missile stages too, ZX9R Ninja (170mph!!! yeeehahhh) but too fast for a license holder especially if you plan on keeping it!

Good luck with your choices, and have fun riding!

willie

Forager
Sep 25, 2004
aberdeen,scotland
www.google.com
Hey up Dances with Wolves, you'll love biking, it's got another great community feeling about it, like on BCUK, it's amazing how many people on bikes will help you when in need too!

Good luck with your choices, and have fun riding!

Its True Although i was only on a 125 Scooter thing nearly all other people on bikes would throw you a nod.. i was at first Startled.

good luck with the Cbt.. its easy but good luck anyway ;)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Passed my test last year after a long time in cars> Love it just dont get out enough I would spend as little as poss as as soon as you are allowed to get on a 500 you will take your test and not want to even look at the 125cc.
My mate passed her test and learnt passed her test on a 125 now she has a restricted Harley and wishes that she had took her test on a 500. I now have a honda hornet 600 and like it but fancy getting a trail bike for green laning and remte camping,
Good luck and take care there are some idjit car drivers out there!!!
dave

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I'm not a fan of small cruisers. Have had a few spins on friends over the years and the light weight and rake makes the front end feel hopelessly disconnected. The road models(CG and the likes) are far more capable - read safer!

For much the same reasons I'm fond of sportsbikes. Capable frames with decent suspension and brakes and good modern tyres are in my view safer than road bikes although I'll admit they do egg you on, leaving you more inclined to be travelling quicker - which counters the argument to an extent:rolleyes:.

Also worth considering a trail bike. Don't know what it's like round your way but up here a 125 trail bike and a bunch of bungies will get you and your gear to places out of reach to even 4x4s(most forestry gates only block the road so you just ride round it and off you go).
Only problem is when you pass your test you may not want to get rid of it so you wouldn't get any money back to pour into the bigger bike budget.

A couple of others have mentioned 400s and I'll back them up. I got a ZXR400R after running around on a Fazer600 for a couple of years(after various big heavy 80s roadbikes). Almost identical performance but half the insurance and a lot more fun to boot. Pillions need not apply!;)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I'm not a fan of small cruisers. Have had a few spins on friends over the years and the light weight and rake makes the front end feel hopelessly disconnected. The road models(CG and the likes) are far more capable - read safer!

For much the same reasons I'm fond of sportsbikes. Capable frames with decent suspension and brakes and good modern tyres are in my view safer than road bikes although I'll admit they do egg you on, leaving you more inclined to be travelling quicker - which counters the argument to an extent:rolleyes:.

Also worth considering a trail bike. Don't know what it's like round your way but up here a 125 trail bike and a bunch of bungies will get you and your gear to places out of reach to even 4x4s(most forestry gates only block the road so you just ride round it and off you go).
Only problem is when you pass your test you may not want to get rid of it so you wouldn't get any money back to pour into the bigger bike budget.

I'd go along with all this. For a 125 I'd go for a trailie.
Slightly ironcially trailies are really good around town, especially if the roads are undermaintained, also with the upright riding position you get a better view of the road ahead over the roof of the average family car than with sports bikes or cruisers.

It's rare for someone to stick with 125 sports or cruisers for too long, if you want a sports bike and take to biking you'll probably get a bigger one, ditto a cruiser, commuters like the CG and traillies people sometimes do as they have uses in themselves rather than aspiring to something else but being limited because of licensing issues. CGs bullet proof cheap commuting, traillies tend to be comfortable and fun even more so if your a tall bloke, if your somewhat shorter you might want to avoid though.

People I've know who bought 125 cruisers or sports bikes have been very happy with them for the first half year or so ( probably down to the first thrills of biking ) but tended to move larger engines at the first finacial oppertunity after that.

I'd highly recommend sitting on a bike before deciding about buying, other people can advice but what's comfortable for one is not always comfortable for another. Have a chat with a few owners at bike parking zones too, many will probably let you have sit on while stationary so long as you let them know your thinking of getting one and don't ask for the keys.

My own current bike is a Yamaha XJ900 Diversion, more for it's easy mantainence shaft drive 2 up touring and luggage capability than anything else. past bikes old XJ900 wich actually was more comfortable than the Divvy for me, Susuki GS400 fine for sensible motorway run initailly Kawasaki AR125 I learnt on, a slightly larger sports 125 at the time
which I got knowing that when I passed the full test I would derestrict it while saving for something bigger, that reasoning doesn't seem to apply to modern 125s but does to the A2 license after you've passed the 125 (IIRC limited to 33BHP for 2 years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE