Sports Bike or Cruiser?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
I'm taking my CBT on the 21st, and I was looking for advice as to which would be a better, more practical and reliable buy.

A sports bike, or a Cruiser?

Has anyone had any experience with either or both, and if so, how realiable, efficient, comfortable are they etc etc?

It will be a 125cc only whatever I buy, but am committed to making the leap from car to bike whatever now.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks for your time.

Wolves. :)

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Good luck with your CBT fella Whats wrong with your Mini?.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
This is a vote for a cruiser for a first bike.
Don't get too attached to it though: you'll damage it and you'll want to change it.
But you'll remember it fondly, if you survive.

Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
Nothing I still love my Mini, and it will be sad to see it go (if it ever sells on e-bay) (sodding scammers!) But for me it will be so much cheaper to switch, especially with me saving to go back to Uni next year the £500-£600 a year it's going to save me will make a big difference comeing out of my salary And that's not including the fact that the sale from the car should leave me money left over after buying a bike and leathers helmet etc.. But I'm torn between a Honda CBR125cc R Repsol Colours and getting something like a Suzuki 125 GZ Marauder or a Honda Shadow VT 125

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
The Honda Shaddow looks like it could be bigger than a 125, looks cool, I like the CBR and I think they arn't bad bikes I know the 600s are excellent. Its a tricky one, Learning forward CBR, or seeing over hedges Shaddow. Think you should go with your heart mate, good luck deciding.

Simon

M

mikehill

Honda CG125 mate ... it'll hold it's price as long as you own it, which won't be long as you'll be after a 600 pretty soon after you pass ;) Good luck with your test :)

Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
The Honda CG125 doesn't seem to bad I must admit. I may quite often have a passenger, but it will mainly be for commuting. However initially for Uni I could end up with an average of 20,000 Miles a year as I will be commuting from Leicestershire to Lincoln until I can move house. SO this should rapidly deminish back down to 9000-10,000 Miles per year.

So it may have to be a work horse that likes being riden.

Thank you all for your comments so far though it's much appreicated. And as I've never riden a bike before I will need that luck :) Theory on 20th, CBT on 21st and providing I pass both Practical test ASAP. :)

M

mikehill

Trust me mate .. I've been riding for .... urm ... 27 years now :eek: Didn't realise it was that long :D A CG125 or a GS125 will see you right. Dead easy to work on and you won't lose any money on them :) When you pass you will want at least a 400 or 600 ... would recommend a CBR600 myself, never owned one myself, but they are a great bike. I had a ZZR600 which was fine by me .. 155 mph ...
Then a year later get a 750-1400 and really enjoy yourself ;)

S

shaunmcdonald

Hiya rob
I think if you are going to be doing quite alot of mileage ( which it sounds like you will be doing initially ) make sure that what ever bike you get you feel comfortable on. I have never been fond of the sports riding position myself, so have always gone for a more upright ride ( or even a laid back ride :) )
The Honda CG's are a good workhorse and will run for ever, the sports on the other hand are a bit more finely tuned and you my fine that to keep them in good order more regular servicing is required.
Good luck with the tests and like has been said before go with what feels right to you.
Just bear in mind if camping trips on the bike are to be catered for make sure what ever you get has space for the luggage.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Can't say I would go for any of the three you asked for opinions on, as mentioned by others I reckon that something like a CG 125 is about as good a 125 fourstroke as you will ever get.

Its not fast but despite sporty pretensions neither is the CBR 125 either.
Very reliable and doesn't have loads of plastics to replace when you throw it down the road.
Just about any two stroke sportsbike/even trailbike will blow all of them off the road but they require a bit more maintenance and there will be a few days when you can't get to work cos they will be knackered in the shed waiting for fresh piston rings;)

Later on when you are allowed its amazing what old sportbikes are going pretty cheap, I bought my Suzuki GSXR 750 Slingshot for a grand about three years ago, it only had thirty thousand miles on it and thats in 15-16 years of use.
I also have a couple of 1990 two stroke KX 500 motocrossers, one converted to a supermoto and another waiting for me to have enough time to do it up and make it into a road legal trailbike, they are not exactly light on maintenance though and not quite ideal as a first bike if you get my drift.

Even the old battered stuff can surprise a lot of people as theres some cheap missiles out there.
The sports tourers like ZZRs are good big bikes as well

Can't say I have ever really "got" cruisers though, overweight, underpowered, underbraked and handle like a pig on stilts;)

Anyway, good luck with your test.

Regards Scott.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
I wouldn't go with a sports bike either. Attracts too much attention from the police and has neither the performance or handling that a real sports bike would have. CG gets my vote too. Mind you my preference is neither sports nor cruiser but trail.

As an aside I abandoned the sports bike route after finding that they were giving me back ache and if I wasn't going 70+ then I was feeling like I was going slow. Bit trailies aren't much use off road in this country - too much mud and too much weight, but they do cruise well and are excellent on tracks.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
For a 125cc machine, I would stick to one of the "big 4" - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki... The CG 125 would make n ideal first bike and would be easier to maintain and run than a faired machine.

The only advantage a faired machine would have is that when you drop ir or get driven into, the engine often comes off well... on naked bikes the engine will get damaged so it's worth getting some engine bars.

The sports bike, cruiser, tourer, traille argument is all down to personal preference, body shape and there is no real right or wrong, after a while riding you will work out what's good for you.

I've had: Suzuki TS50x, Kawasaki KH125, Kawasaki ZZR250, Kawasaki ZZR1100, Yamaha Diversion 600, Suzuki Bandit 600, Kawasaki ZZR600 (Given to my girlfriend) Honda CBR1100 Blackbird, Honda ST1300 PanEuropean and am currently riding a Honda CBR1000 Fireblade.

I learned to ride on an ex works Honda CR250 and a CR500... both really poop inducing! hehehe

The only thing I would really push on people, is to buy the best crash helmet you can and this is a rare time of EXPENSIVE IS GOOD... and buy good boots and good gloves.

Also... GOOD LUCK on your CBT ;)

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Another vote for the CG125. Bulletproof and fun. I learned on one. The CBR125 might look sporty but it's not much more of a performer that the CG and you'll get bikers on bigger sports bikes buzzing you for your sporty pretensions - Besides, having L plates on something shaped like a supersports bike 'aint that cool :rolleyes:
Also you might find the look and riding position of the CBR tempt you to try and ride above your experience level.
Hands down a CG125 mate. :)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
For what my advice is worth, don't cut corners on protective clothing or insurance.

I was knocked of my nice old R80 boxer nearly four years ago by an uninsured driver. Guess what? He didn't see me and pulled out of a side road directly into my side. Fortunately, the left hand cylinder head caught his front bumper a glancing blow which meant that I was just tipped off, but jarred my elbow as I landed.

I was wearing good gear, so I wasn't scraped at all, but my elbow took a couple of years to heal.

Also, as my insurance policy had legal protection cover, my insurers appointed a solicitor to handle the claim from the MIB (the organisation that handles claims when the at fault party is not insured). Although it took about 2 1/2 years to sort out, I got a decent injury claim settlement.

Geoff

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
I'd back up the protective clothing point as well as the helmet. I think you can see a theme here from the replies. You will fall off. Protective clothing is a must and don't be tempted to skimp on wearing it. I wince every time I see someone on a bike without it. As with Geoff, I've had someone pull out in front of me, which induces feelings of mortality if you are doing about 60 at the time as I was. I did however walk away despite clearing the car completely and rolling down the road the other side - but only because I was wearing the right gear. However, slow speed falls always seem to involve sliding along the road, and that is painful if you are doing it on skin.

Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
I have already spent some good money on a top quality helmet and jacket and trousers as well as gloves. I've even got some all over body armour for the summer when my big jacket is too hot and heavy.

THank you all for your advice so far, As much as I love and have always loved the CBR125 Repsol, the CG125 isn't a bad starter considering i want reliability, but I just keep wondering about the tourer for comfort and later passenger carrying. I also pack like a woman and therefore seem unable to pack light, so a good set of paniers and means to affix the to the bike is esential.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
It may not seem likely at the moment, but when you've got a full A licence and can carry passengers you really won't be content with 125cc's. Trust me you'll be trading in the 125 and getting something with a little bit more oomph.

Anyway who wants to carry passengers? They're just dead weight :rolleyes: :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE