Sourcing softwood poles to build a bushcraft shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 17, 2016
Cambridge UK
I'm in the process of designing a bushcraft shelter, where eventually I'll be able to run bushcraft sessions for young people. It's going to be a ridge-tent-style construction, with a tarp over the top. I'll need 6m long poles for my design. I'm based near Cambridge - we're relatively near to Thetford forest with its numerous softwood plantations. However, I'm really struggling to find anything that long locally. I'm even contacting tipi-pole companies. So far, any success I've had has been with companies a significant distance away from Cambridge, where delivery is going to be anything from £150 upwards. I'm keen to source from a more local producer, but seem to have exhausted Google! Anyone got any ideas? :banghead:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Talk to the local scout site to see where they get their poles from, it's years ago but i've bought pioneering poles a couple of times at a good price, it's worth asking them where they source theirs.

I'm presuming scouts still use them :D

Mar 17, 2016
Cambridge UK
Hee hee - yes,I am actually a Scout Leader, and have investigated our usual pioneering pole supplier, but they don't do anything that long. We definitely still use them though! :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ha ha, glad to hear they're still used.

You might need to compromise on your design then as 6mt is long, I know you can get them but your'e probably looking at £80 a piece, telegraph poles will be too big and heavy

StuMsg

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
Could you use multiple smaller one bound together? it would be an opportunity to teach some ropework. 2 x 3m or 3 x 2m would be cheaper and easier to source. Maybe try a large hardware store for some pine hand rails?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Not sure of your soil type where you are, but if there's chestnut coppice about then that would be a good option. It weathers extremely well due to the high tannin content.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE