sourcing poncho or suitable fabric

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
hi all,
i am looking for a suitable poncho, or if it cannot be found, the right fabric to make my own.
now, as to what i mean by "suitable". i have a nice dpm poncho i was given years ago. it folds into its own little bag, has a load of "snaps" on it, i presume to attach a bunch of them together or something, and is quite large. now, this poncho is made of nylon, and has totally given up its waterproofyness long ago. now, although i could probably reproof it with some success using a PVA solution of some kind, i would prefer to replace it with something more suitable. ideally in some "goretex" type fabric. the simpatex French army bivy bag material would be ideal.

now, i doubt such a thing can be found. in such a case, i could easily make my own, as i am a dab hand at needlework, and know methods for seam-welding etc. i just need a good fabric.
a good fabric would be waterproof, un-noisy, and un-shiny, and of course be temperate dpm pattern. not easy to find without cannibalizing a good piece of kit. and i hate wasting good kit.

so, anyone got any ideas on which direction i should be looking on this one? i am in no hurry, as i have a nice French dpm coat. but i find ponchos just so handy!

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
update; i have purchased fabric from fabrics an stuff. bought a bit of cheap nylon stuff and some polyester stuff too. now, i will need to get my head around waterproofing the stuff. any idea of what i could use, and what kind of place would stock it?

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
the british is made out of the same as the bivi.its called mvp moisture vapour permable basically goretex without the brand name

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
thats what i want!!! if you come across one for sale, give me the heads-up will ya? sounds like good kit. i think i am going to use the fabric to make a tarp instead, if i can get a MVP poncho. thanks for the info. much appreciated. :)

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
ill go and have a look through some magazines ive got in the attic.i bought 2 bivi bags of a firm that sells them too iwish id have bought 1 of them as well now lookin back

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE