Source of well seasoned poplar wood and long strips / off cuts of wool on sheep skin?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Bum. Oh well. I measured one of the numerous cricket bats tha never get used in this house and if it wasn't for the V cutout for the handle it would be perfect. Assuming the blade comes out to spec I need a wood blank 22 x 2 x 4 inches Naturally the finished article will be thinner and narrower.

Aw nuts, we were down Oxford way last weekend. I don't think well be down that way until about Easter now but thanks for the offer bob.

atb

Tom

You could season timber in those dimensions in no time at all. Weeks to a couple of months max. I do it all the time.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Will have a look this afternoon, might have some goat willow near those dimensions. What's the smallest you can get away with? Fast seasoning is just cutting to as small a dimensionvas possible then placing it somewhere warm and dry. It dries quicker than you think when small enough and dry enough.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! Until the blade arrives after xmas I'm erring on the side of caution with regards . I should have a dimensioned sketch off the maker after the weekend to help me source materials. Ive been poking around the charity shops looking for some thing made with hair on lamb or sheep skin I can cut up for the small strips i need. No point sourcing a complete skin!

ATb

Tom

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Found this goat willow cowering behind a bunch of staves. Season for a few years now.
When you are ready with dimensions let me know and I will check it.

Goat will seems to be the tougher of the willows in my experience. Only one that will make a bow.

IMAG3979_zpsd0a1a526.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Goat is much tougher than weeping for sure - I've cut and burned both and weeping is very light when seasoned - you can mark it with a thumbnail

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dropped those ash trunks today Tom. I think sadly none will give you a perfect 8' length

Ash Trunks by British Red, on Flickr

The four longest are 8-9', max 6" diameter

I had hopes for the second from left - but at about the 6' point there is a lot of knotting (you can see where side branches were removed)

Middle is nice and straight but only 6' ish - two on the right have a curve at the bottom :(

Let me know if you want any and I'll wax them for you (they are a two man lift - heavy ish)

Its not a problem if they are no good for you as there are certainly some good sections for axe and sledge handles in there.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE