Soup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine doesn't like soup, doesn't like gravy, doesn't like stew, won't eat any meat that has fat or bone or anything tough, doesn't even like sausage, though he'll eat haggis and black pudding.
So, yes, breast meat and a carcase that goes to the fox. I barter with a friend who hunts, so in season he gets every kind of bird, venison, etc., and though I do pick over the carcase, he'll eat curry, or stir fry, there's an awful lot that I feel goes to waste.
Thing is, Himself is the only one in the house that eats meat, so no one else will make use of the extra bits.

It's bugs me a bit; I honestly believe in making use of every bit of the beast. Even to reducing down the chicken carcase to jelly in the pressure cooker, but he doesn't want it.

Not much I can do about it, I'm fussy about my food enough as it is, not to make a song and dance about his likes and dislikes.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
<Happy Sigh>

Went to dinner with a friend, and came home with the chicken carcase.

A true friend, eh? (Whose partner would otherwise hide it in the freezer...)

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
If it is a particularly fatty stock you could pour it into a narrow bottle, put cap on, upend it, wait for fat to rise, then half un-cap it to dribble the stock out and leave the fat or oil behind.

Reactions: Billy-o

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Aren't men a curse?
Don't you mean fussy people are a curse? I will eat almost anything but I'm mostly vegetarian these days as my OH is.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd start off by looking at the ingredients to give you a bit of a clue what you want. Some have yeast extract (so a bit of marmite), certain herbs such as lovage that gives a good depth of flavour also things like Shiitake Mushroom Powder and ginger should be easy enought to get hold of.

Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
Don't you mean fussy people are a curse? I will eat almost anything but I'm mostly vegetarian these days as my OH is.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be sexist. Mine isn't that bad, and I nearly have him trainiled as a veggie.

His worst fussiness is that he won't eat things that he thinks have been in contact with soil or bugs. He thinks soil and bugs atr both dirty. Total madness. I have to lie a lot about where the food comes from. Luckily he is a software engineer and has no idea it is mostly grown in the ground outside.

• Haha
Reactions: Herman30

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Funnily enough I'm a software engineer by trade. But I did grow up with various animals and food grown in the garden so I'm completely normal.

Currently my chicken carcasses are running around the garden, although if they don't start laying come spring...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I like most things and have a horror of faddy eaters.

My friend made cauliflower cheese, -nuts and spices in, -not bland at all. I do not normally like cauliflower cheese...

(She is Indian, and so can make even vegetables edible)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The only way I'm fussy is with certain vegetables which blow me up like a balloon. It's not being fussy to turn down parsnips, broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts, etc when they cause so much pain and discomfort to me and then discomfort to others as I start to feel better.

I think there's no way to say that better, sorry for being crude.

I do eat what's put in front of me though and it's only recently I've started to turn down the veg that hurt. I used to be too polite to turn them down so just suffered silently instead.

I've also come to the conclusion that if I don't eat meat with virtually every meal I also get ill. A vegetarian dish with side order of salami will be enough to save the day.

Soup is easy in principle but hard in reality. I have one soup I make well and i keep practicing it. I should work on a new one to add to it. Past attempts were watery to say the least. Our stews on the other hand are closer to being nice soups rather than stews.

Reactions: Billy-o and Toddy

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I don't think soups are that hard to get right, it's getting taste and texture, I find any veg plus stock and some kind of pulse (peas/beans/lentils) = good soup. Potatoes help with that too. Stock = flavour pulses = texture

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
My favourite soup has to be the chicken noodle soup that we used to get from Marktkauf, I've found it occasionally in Aldi or Lidl but never as often as I would like. The closest I can get is:

Chicken Oxo Cube or chicken stock from your Sunday roast.
5mm diced cooked chicken
5mm diced carrots
5mm diced celery
5mm diced onions
peas
little bit of basil and oregano
black pepper
mini conchelli

Bang it all together in about even proportions and add stock to get the right wateryness (technical term there).

On being fussy, I eat everything separately on my plate starting from least favourite to most favourite, its a habit I picked up when I left school and didn't have to contend with people stealing food off my plate.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Ash! The least to most favourite food item eating (dis)order! ;)

I thought I was the only one to do that. Growing up in our house food theft was something we learnt to deal with from a young age. By the time I got to school I could defend food from anyone. I drew blood! People only tried it once! Oh the other technique was to eat quickly. Nobody had time to nick my food it was gone before theirs.

Reactions: Oliver G

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yeah, me too.

The problem I have with soup is that a lot of recipes require a blender, something I dont have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE