Something nasty...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 27, 2006
Kent
That I found whilst out foraging.

thornapple1.jpg

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
It's not a UK native but does come in via seed mixes apparently. Flowering and fruiting tends to happen during hot summers and the seeds have a high germination rate (!) so not something you'd want self seeding on your allotment.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=82

I'd only ever seen it in the pages of books before so this was a nice (well sort of) surprise find. I'm hoping to go back and get some plant matter specimens from it to section & photograph but I will be careful doing that as it's a particularly nasty plant to handle.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
been looking for some seed to add to the poison plant part of the garden.

Jimson weed (or Thorn apple as it also know), one of the main ingredients in Haitian zombie powder along with Cane toad and puffer fish if Wade Davis's samples were correct

zorro

Nomad
Jun 6, 2009
Chesterfield UK
It's not a UK native but does come in via seed mixes apparently. Flowering and fruiting tends to happen during hot summers and the seeds have a high germination rate (!) so not something you'd want self seeding on your allotment.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=82

I'd only ever seen it in the pages of books before so this was a nice (well sort of) surprise find. I'm hoping to go back and get some plant matter specimens from it to section & photograph but I will be careful doing that as it's a particularly nasty plant to handle.

Had me scratching my head for a while, going through my trusty field guide to wild flowers of great britain, not a mention anywhere! :)

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
It is used in the "Earth's Children" series of books as a strong painkiller/sedative and also in some rituals if I remember rightly. Not saying it is safe for any use at all.
I guess it is one of those plants where there is a line between poison and medicine.

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
A local story during the American Revolution was a sqaud of British soldiers were near starving and ate the thornapple and were capttured roosting in a tree and making bird noises.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
been looking for some seed to add to the poison plant part of the garden.

Hi EdS, we've grown it every year for over 20 years since we found one growing out in the wild.You can have some seeds no problem.We're near Skipton if you fancy a brew or pm your address and I'll post you some -- cheers Danny

Datura.jpg
[/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE