Solo Adirondacks Trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mattburgess

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Wivenhoe
Chinkapin - from what you say you are obviously from the states...can I really just rent/borrow a gun there!?! There must be some sort of licience that you need, right?

I've done clay shooting on numerous occasions but certainly not 'well versed' - so highly unlikely to be toting a gun! Thanks for the amo advice and the reassurance about bears. Everyone says the same thing about them but you can't help thinking about it - especially a greenhorn like me!

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I would say you have a couple of options. One option would be to bring a gun from the U.K. to the US. I don't think there is any problem with that as long as it is in the cargo hold. I know there are U.S. rules, but what the international or British rules are, I do not know, you would have to check on that.

A second option would be to buy a gun here after arrival. Perhaps you could arrange with a dealer (prior to purchase) for him to buy it back at some specified amount, when you are ready to return home. I don't know what the rules are regarding selling firearms to foreign nationals are. However, if you stay away from a dealer and buy from a private citizen there is no paperwork involved. It is a private transaction period. There is no license required to own a rifle or shotgun in most jurisdictions. There are hunting license requirements in all jurisdictions. In addition, some wilderness areas have a no firearms requirement. That varies from place to place. You would just have to check into the specific area you are going. Whether it is a state park or a federal park will make a difference. One important thing: years ago none of the states required a hunter safety course. Now they all do. Old guys like me who had been hunting for years and years (and had not shot ourselves, lol) were "grandfathered" in and not required to take the course. Younger people born after a certain date are required to before they can hunt. But you wont be hunting so that shouldn't be a problem.

Another option, and this would be my recommendation, would be to begin to correspond with someone in the area regarding your trip. After you get on a friendly basis, then ask them if they could arrange the use of shotgun (or whatever) for the period of your stay. You might have to put up a deposit -- in case you lost it in a lake or brought it back covered with rust, etc, etc.

If you have shot clays on numerous occasions you must know all the basic fundamentals. How to load it, how to aim it, where not to point it, and of course, to always stand BEHIND the trigger guard!

All of these things are just something to look into and make some decisions. Like I said I wouldn't worry about the bears, but I certainly would take some bear spray as was recommended by others.

In some areas of this country, no type of firearm will raise any eyebrows. In others, a pistol might, but not a rifle or shotgun. A shotgun would be the least apt to cause any undue attention.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
HooDoo and Chinkapin have covered the trip pretty well with some super recommendations. I have not been to the Adirondeks since I was maybe 12 years old but did a fair bit of hiking and camping and can highly recommend the area, very beautiful, especially in the fall.

A tarp for a cooking/eating area would be a good idea as well as good rain gear. The season is likely to have some rain, perhaps even light snow depending on the elevation.

You may consider searching on line for an organized hiking/canoeing trip that you could book and not have to travel solo and also it would provide an excellent opportunity to learn from others. I sometimes enjoy hiking alone but find camping alone to be boring and less fun than camping with another or a small group.

As a general rule, the Adirondeks are scattered among some of the most populated areas of the eastern US, so expect to see others on the trails and be prepared to be not too deep into a wilderness. There are bears, not much of a problem if you follow the basic safety steps HooDoo stated. I would stick to trails and definately leave a trip plan with a ranger or someone you can count on.

Firearms may not be on option depending on local laws. They can vary considerably, place to place.

My personal take on solo trips are there is always an extra risk because a simple injury can have serious implications when alone. A sprained ankle becomes a real ordeal, etc.

Overall, good luck and most of all be safe and enjoy each minute in the wild. It really is magical. Cheers!

Dec 27, 2009
New York
Hi Matt
have you taken your trip yet? If not, we have a trip planned for the spring. Go to Bushcraft USA and register for the site, same as here. Go to events and find "NY Bushcraft meet". I am personal friends with most of those going on the trip. We go camping all over, We just did a 20 man canoe trip in the Adirondacks late November. We go all year. Most are associated with the Wilderness Learning Center. It has a website. A lot of our trip pics are on BushcraftUSA and Bladeforums. Feel free to IM me if you like.
JB

mattburgess

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Wivenhoe
Guys'

Chinkapin, I find the ease in which you can get a gun (withing the law) in the states quite amazing! I knew they were relaxed but..! Seems very weired for a Brit. Thanks for the info.

Tallquietman, thank you. I'd much rather go with someone other people (shared experience and all that) but as I said a lack of like-minded freinds prohibited. I'll give some serious consideration to you invite. Having said that, now I've got into the mindset of a solo trip the adventure side of me has kicked in! Now in two minds! In anycase I've a lot of outdoor experience to get in so I'll wait to next year before I decide.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
Guys'

Chinkapin, I find the ease in which you can get a gun (withing the law) in the states quite amazing! I knew they were relaxed but..! Seems very weired for a Brit. Thanks for the info.

If there's three things I miss about the US that's,

1) the weather (go from Florida to Washington and you'll go from down filled jackets to shorts and t-shirts in about 1000miles)
2) You can go around in most city centres with you rifle, shotgun, handgun (covert/overt depending on legislation) or even a longbow and nobody will seem to be bothered (when I carry a rifle in the UK between shooting site and car, I get many funny looks even though it's inside its case)
3) American classic muscle cars! 1970 Dodge Charger anyone? Meh, I'd be happy with a Dodge RAM! :p

I would say American women too, but I'm married to one :p

As far as bears are concerned. Bears, of any kind will not attack randomly, 9 out of 10 times they will come close enough but then turn back and go their own way. A bear has most chances attack if they're mothers with their cubs, or if they're already wounded. And even if they do many times it's a bluff attack to see how will you react. Best thing you can do when you see one is stand still and let it go its own way, I've actually been told that they are very peaceful and placid creatures, unless something's wrong.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2010
ontario
I've been to the Adirondacks a couple times; it's a really nice area
and I'm sure you'll enjoy every minute of it. The remoteness, well I
guess that's a relative term; more remote than most parts of England,
I'm sure, but I have a feeling you'll see more people than you expect to.
I stand to be corrected on this, but from what I remember, you should never be more than a day's hike from civilization, or at least a road. Just a map and compass
should be enough to get you in and out.

Bears, don't sweat it. Go in armed with some well-researched knowledge and
a can of pepper spray, and you will be totally safe. I live out of a tent all summer every summer in bear country; seen lots of bears, never had a
major problem..

Enjoy and take lots of photos...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE