Snugpak Antartica RE Sleeping Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
This is a review in two parts, first up the sleeping bag. I bought one of these because I tend to run cold at night so wanted something that will really keep me warm and toasty. The bag is advertised as a 5 season bag with a rating of comfort -20 down to extreme -50. We all know these are only a guide and is based on a fit & healthy individual, of which I am niether, so it seemed like a good item for me to have. I also purchased the "expanda panel" to fit as I find almost all mummy style bags are way too restrictive for my lithe little 50" chest and waist. The bag itself is around the 50" circumference itself which with the "expanda panel" then extends to around 56" at the shoulder end. This it seems was a good decision for me as although the bag has ample dimensions for me fitting into it without the extra panel I found was very neat. For anyone with less bulk the bag would be fine without the panel but with it fitted, it gave me an additional 6" circumference which was perfect and very comfortable. The bag would suit anyone up to 6' without problem as I am 5' 9" and found I had about 9" of spare bag below my feet, which I stuffed with my mid range clothing so that they would be warm when I got up in the morning, a very wise decision as I found out when I rose.
I tried it out this last weekend at the meet up in Perth, temperatures were recorded at around -4 to -6 C we believe so it's first real outing was a good test. The first night (the coldest) still being a little wary because of the cold temps I decided to jump in with my trousers, socks, and t shirt still on. The bag was set up with the expanda panel fitted and the bag laid on top of a light summer woolly's special £3.99 summer bag as a thermal break. The whole lot was laid on top of a camp bed, one of those fishing bed chair affairs which kept me of the ground, and as I mentioned the open extra space at the foot end was taken up with my mid range clothing to keep them warm for when I rose. The result was brilliant and I actually found myself sweating a little during the night but by simply opening the top of the zip a few inches this kept the sweat down to a minimum. Even with the sweat the bag in the morning was bone dry and was very comfortable and toasty the whole night through.
Second night armed with the knowledge from the previous night I decided to try it out without the extra panel to see if I could use it and if it would fit and give me a comfortable night, also this time I stripped down to long johns and a t shirt. The temperature the second night was we think a couple of degrees up on the previous night so had a good feeling that all would be well. The second night was just as warm and toasty as the first and I have been well impressed with this bag, It has performed really well so I am truly delighted. Once again when I got up and pulled on my mid layer clothes which had been put into the space at my feet they came out nice and warm, saving me the shock of pulling on cold clothes in the morning, it was as if they had been layed over a radiator overnight (well nearly). However it was very restrictive without the extra panel so it will now be a permanent fixture.
In conclusion I am well impressed with this sleeping bag, if you're like me and run cold so need that extra bit of heat at night, and if you are of ample proportions like me then this would definately do a tremendous job for you in the extreme cold temperatures of the mid winter. It would also suit someone who needs that extra length for the taller individual. The down side to this bag is firstly, although reasonably light it is quite bulky even compressed in it's compression sac, in fact it took up most of the space in my bergen although I still managed to get some extra clothing and a frying pan in beside it. Secondly it was a tad expensive at £120 but if you are like me and believe in spending money on a quality sleep system, which I believe is the most important item of kit we take out with us, I am quite happy to part with the money. I now am convinced that this sleeping bag is well worth the money. If you get too warm you can always open the zip to moderate the temperature whereas if you have a bag which leaves you cold at night it's much more difficult to heat up unless you have additional kit with you.

"The bag itself is around the 50" circumference itself which with the "expanda panel" then extends to around 56" at the shoulder end."

This is exactly the bag I'm after with expanda panel but was told by Adventure 1 that the expanda panel adds 50cm extra width at shoulders...so have you got your measurements wrong or have snugpack?

Is it possible to add two expand panels to make a roomy bag or almost double?

WS

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
As mentioned above there are 2 parts to this review. The second part here is about the company I purchased it from. The company was "AWE OUTDOORS". This company is internet based and is in my opinion the worst company to deal with that I have ever had the misfortune to use, they are just short of being crooks in my opinion. I ordered the bag from them and had decided to pay an additional £7.50 or thereabouts for overnight delivery. It took 21 days to arrive. I contacted them 4 days after ordering to get the tracking details from them to see where it had got to and recieved a mono syllabic 5 word answer to the effect that the company they use is not the company they advertise as using. Contacted them a couple of days later when still nothing had arrived to get the same caveman grunts to tell me it was definately shipped the previous Thursday this being Friday, but if not received by end of the day they had Nanok in stock. No mention of how they would get it to me or which models or anything else. I tried to call them but therir phone lines did not work, the only method of contacting them was by email. No reply that day so tried again the following Monday to receive the same caveman grunts again saying only that it has been dispatched. Only by checking with my bank did I find out that the money had only been taken on the Saturday, 2 weeks after the order was placed, so contacted them again and got no reply. 21 days after ordering the sleeping bag it finally arrived, so I emailed a complaint to them to ask what they were going to do about it and all I got in reply was "Your comments taken on board" that was it, no explanation, no offer of refund for overnight delivery, nothing. I would recommend that you all should steer well clear of these clowns and never use them, they have no concept of service or of right or wrong, as I say they are no better than crooks to me. Sleeping bag terrific bit o kit, AWE OUTDOORS big no no rubbish bunch of dealers, I will never use them again and would not even recommend them to my worst enemy.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
nice one im just about to purchase a new dos bag. The loft in my softie 12 has given up the ghost and it between this bag and the snugpak SF combined which seems to give similar properties to the ant RE. At 6ft5 and 20 stone it needs to be big too. I wounder at what tempt it would become uncomfortably hot/wet in

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
If it gets too warm it's easy enough to open up the zip or even having it opened all the way and just pulled over would do it I reckon. As I say it's easier to regulate the heat down than it is up.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
"The bag itself is around the 50" circumference itself which with the "expanda panel" then extends to around 56" at the shoulder end."

This is exactly the bag I'm after with expanda panel but was told by Adventure 1 that the expanda panel adds 50cm extra width at shoulders...so have you got your measurements wrong or have snugpack?

Is it possible to add two expand panels to make a roomy bag or almost double?

WS

Their measurements are correct it is 50cm not 6" as I at first thought. It give a huge amount of room for us bigger chaps at the shoulder end.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
cheers thank you for measuring and good review. All this choice is making it a hard choice. im extremly tempted by this, i dont really need the two bags in the combined as i can use the faled loft softie 12 as a summer bag now. I suppose i can open zip it if its get too hot

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
That's a great review Sniper, thanks.

Sorry to be a pain but is there any chance you could please measure the width of the bag lying flat at the shoulders with the expander panel attached?

I'm 6'5" and a 54" chest, currently have a Nanok -10ºc that Nanok state is 86cm at the shoulders. I've not used it yet beside trying it out on the living room floor and it's doable, but I'd rather go for one of these if it's going to give me more room. Thanks.

Jiffy

Jun 28, 2008
Edinburgh
Just checked the spec, is it really 3kgs? I'll stick with my down bag and a Rab bivvy bag but if you had to go synthetic then Snugpak are certainly a good brand.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Sorry for the delay Jambo, the width at the shoulder end is 64" or 166cm with the expanda panel fitted, and about 50" without, absolutely acres of room. Your 54" chest will fit easily in there with the panel added and still give you room to spare no problem.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Its a centre zip Eds.
Jiffy I have'nt weighed it and I'm still working in lbs and ozs which by my reckoning your 3 kgs works out at around just over 6lbs. I can assure you it does not weigh anywhere near that, at a guess I would say nearer half that, however it is big and takes up a lot of space in my large bergen. However this is very much a winter bag for me and it will only come out to play when I know the weather will be really cold. In those conditions I am quite happy to carry a little extra bulk and weight to ensure me a really comfortable night even in the most extreme weather.

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
Sorry for the delay Jambo, the width at the shoulder end is 64" or 166cm with the expanda panel fitted, and about 50" without, absolutely acres of room. Your 54" chest will fit easily in there with the panel added and still give you room to spare no problem.

That's brilliant, really is a great help. Thanks a lot for all the info Sniper. Will keep an eye out for your reviews in future. Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE