small group cooking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
Hi guys, I do a wee bit of camp cooking in a number of local schools and toying with either a woodgas stove or fire box, now I can't swallow the seventy quid for an xl fire box, so do I plumb for wg or small fb? For the last few years I managed with my kelly kettle and an open fire with a grill over the embers or nice skillet straight on.

Most of the cooking is the usual bread, sausages, maybe a stirfry that kind of thing, dep on school it's not always possible for an open fire so something compact and portable and minimal ground impact.

I work with small groups so never need to cook for more than 7 (6 plus me) which should best suit my needs, or is there something better?

Advice, ideas, experiences and 2 penneths all welcome.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
What about a fire pit n griddle.ive got a cheapo metal jobby one in back garden it's very light with folding legs on.youd bosh off 7/8 people with that no probs

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Similar too this you coud do away with the mesh part.their dead light
vape3yzu.jpg

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
thanks all for your ideas and links, I guess my main concern is portability, lots of wood on the sites but not always space or allowance for a permanent feature (such as a fire pit) Im leaning more towards the flat pack firebox, but will the middle size (not micro or XL) be big enough for a cast iron 12" frying pan? or are there other recommended versions from other makers that have been tried and tested?

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
I'm not sure how portable you want it, but i'm probably going to get an Ecozoom for base camp duties. It's too heavy to trek with, but it's an efficient biomass burner, and Iirc, exceeds 12inches in diameter :)

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
I'll have to check that out, busy spec'ing some flatpack stainless BBQ's atm, thinking this might be a good way forward (poss not as robust but much wider base)

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
I'll have to check that out, busy spec'ing some flatpack stainless BBQ's atm, thinking this might be a good way forward (poss not as robust but much wider base)

I'm on the pc now, so:

ecozoom-zvl-5.jpg

Dimensions

Stove: D-27.9cm H-31.8cm
Weight: 10kg

Features

Shipping Weight: 12kg
Refractory metal combustion chamber
Abrasion-resistant, lightweight ceramic insulation
Two internal grates to hold both wood and charcoal
Two hinged doors
6-pronged universal cast iron stove top
Stick support
Adjustable galvanized steel pot skirt
Painted sheet metal body with reinforced doors
Plastic and steel handle

http://www.ecozoom-uk.com/shop/versa-lite-rocket-stove/

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
That's a nice bit of kit, more for a perm camp I think, I need to be as portable as possible.

kombi

Apr 19, 2010
London
Ive been using an ecozoom versa (see link above) last summer and through winter. Its a great tool and loads of power. I can see it will last and last not like those crappy flat pack bbqs. Had a few and they just go rusty and die after a season.

The ecozoom is a bit pricey so if just google and why not have a stab at making one?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE