Sloe Gin with Pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

motz

Apr 17, 2010
Leicester & Chelmsford
Hi all,

I made some sloe gin today and then came on to the site and it seems the 'in' topic atm as 4D_scumpunx and lannyman8 both have posted about making drinks.

N.B. lannyman8 I hope you don't mind me putting this up as it is v. similar to yours but I didn't want to jack your thread...let me know.

Anyway, down to business. Why make sloe gin?! Personally I don't like gin but add a few sloes and a little sugar and KAPPPOOOWWW! its a taste explosion. Also, it's cheap and easy to make and it's nice to see your bottles all lined up over the winter just begging to be drunk!

To make sloe gin you need:
  • sloes
  • cheap dry gin
  • a knife/fork
  • a spare glass bottle
  • sugar

The spare glass bottle is optional as you could just drink half of the gin instead. The gin doesn't have to be anything fancy just a few bottles of the cheap stuff from Aldi or wherever will do as it's the sloes that create the flavour. But this really is all you need, no scales are necessary.

First thing to do is to pour half of the gin into the spare bottle. To get half it's easiest just to keep pouring and checking untill both levels are the same (obviously this only works if the two bottels' dimensions are the same).

DSCF5584.jpg

Then add the sugar. I had a 500g bag of sugar and marked the quarterly points down the packet, which meant that as I poured the sugar into the bottle I could stop and check the level of the sugar against my markings. And so when I hit my mark and stopped I had poured roughly 125g of sugar into each bottle. This sounds complicated but it isn't..I guess you could use a scale but I like the idea that each bottle is slightly different and it kinda takes the fun out of it and makes it too clinical (IMO).

DSCF5588.jpg

Then you need to *****/slice the sloes and then put them into the bottle. I didn't bother washing them before hand or anything as I didn't think it to be necessary but if you feel it is then go for it. Keep putting them in until the level of the gin rises to the point where the neck gets thinner. The idea is to leave enough so that when you come to shake it there is enough air/space to make agitation easy/possible. If you leave too small a gap then you'll find it hard to move the sloes around without a lot of hard work. In the pic below I got carried away and put just a few too many in...but you get the idea anyway.

DSCF5591.jpg

Then make sure the lid's on tight and 'shake it baby' leave for a while and you should end up with something that looks like this -

DSCF5598.jpg

Then it's just a matter of shaking it daily for about 2 weeks then once a week for a month and then just once a month. After about 6 months you can decant the sloes out as there's not much use in having them in there longer than that. And then... Enjoy.

Hope this helps people who were thinking of making some sloe gin, it really is very easy and the sloes are still around so there's no excuse not to give it a go.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
awesome, im going to bottle my blank wine and add the fruit 2moz....mmmmmmmmm yummy.......

Motz, IMO why use so meany Sloe's i use half that amount and the flavour is still the same as far as i can tell......also to save all that pricking each sloe i just freeze mine for a week or 2, this does 2 things makes the skin break down so you wont need to stab each 1 and 2, it breaks down the natural sugars in the fruit which will give it more flavour aswell......

just the way i do it and each to there own, looking good Motz...........thread away or jack as much as you like, i dont mind, im dead easy me, more info the better........

regards...

chris..........

motz

Apr 17, 2010
Leicester & Chelmsford
Now that's what I call a bottle Red, loving it. Definatley going to have to get myself some of them when I've got some cash :)

Glad you don't mind Chris :) I agree - the more info the better. Loving your blueberry version btw, would never have thought of that. I use this many cuz that's what I've always done haha and I guess that because it worked last time I didn't think of changing it, plus there are no shortage of sloes where I'm at. I don't have a freezer :( so I can't do that but I figure that we've had a few allright frosts here recently so they were quite soft already - I just pricked/cut them as an insurance policy :) Tbh it didn't take that long and I had Bob Marley helping me out in the boredom department haha. Like you said though each to there own, and I'm sure there are hundreds of different sloe gin recipes. As long as it's drinkable at the end of it all...

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Funny this should come up today as I was thinking about going on a sloe hunt this weekend. :D

looks really good mate!

Andy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Motz, my last half dozen or so demijohns were less than 50p each. If you ask in charity shops they get loads of them from winemakers who have given up - never more than a quid each. Replacement rubber bungs will round each 6 bottle sized demijohn out to a quid a piece. Throw in a bored bung and an airlock for another quid or so and you are good to go with some hedgerow wines as well!

motz

Apr 17, 2010
Leicester & Chelmsford
Thanks Andy, you should definatly go - it's worth making IMO.

And Red thanks for the top tip, gunna hit the charity shops next time I'm in town see if I can strike lucky...

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
If you put the bottles or demijohns or whatever in the boot of the car and forget about them for a few months they get their daily shake and stir without fail.

If you keep them at home, before every daily shake try half a glass for taste. When the bottle is finished it is ready to drink!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE