Skills or lack there of

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harold Godwinson

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2023
Cornwall
I'm curious to know what skills people lack or more importantly what would you like to learn? I'm coming at it from a bushcraft perspective but feel free to digress.

For myself I'm quite happy with my crafting and woodmanship but I am a sorry forager. I've attended course and read books but still lack enough knowledge or confidence to truly forage and feed myself whilst out for an extended period.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I’d like to be better at plant and tree ID. I have a simple reference book but have never found the time to get the knowledge in.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What are the plant/tree characters in your references that are used for identification? Starting with the trees, then the woody shrubs, make a little collection of dried pressed twigs/roots/leaves & flowers. Take pictures, digital images are the cheapest of cheap. Study those to recite their names the next time you're out to see them. Make written notes.

Technically, the very best plant ID characters are the flowers. But that implies that you are out and about at the peak of flowering. Instead, the anatomy of twigs and leaves goes a long way for species recognition. Learn the Latin proper names. Those are the common label used by everybody on Earth. Be suspicious of common names that are local or regional and no further than that.

For decades, I taught Dendrology to Forest Science uni students. Plant ID was a central feature of the practical part of the courses. I found that I got rusty with disuse. Every winter was a return learning experience.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I can recommend Paul Kirtley's on-line Tree & Plant Identification course. It's well structured and, although orientated towards 'useful' plants (food and utility), it covers a very wide range. It also covers ID at different times of year.

It may look a bit pricey at first glance but you get lifelong access to the source material which is often updated and can repeat the course year after year.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Learn your area.
Seriously, learn to recognise the plants that grow around you, the ones you see all year long, in season and out. Actually look at them, recognise them and do a bit of studying to find out how useful they might be.

It's not just recognition, it's potential for use when out of season and died back. Like meadowsweet, comfrey, ransoms, pignuts, lesser celandines, etc.,

M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'd like to be better at carving spoons and the like. I can turn one out, but its always wonky and rather crude in comparison to others. I just don't have the time to practice often.
I also need to be better at sharpening knives. I'm proficient sharpening a bill hook or slasher, but not so good at knives and my hook knife is disgustingly blunt of late! I must make time to practice more this year.
Learning your area is very important, if you know where certain plants are, foraging is much easier, but things change, councils cut your best bramble patch down and cut your best hazel nut bush to a stump, so you need to know what is going on around you and keep tabs on different locations.
Last summer, my favourite wild raspberry patch was cleared in the woods near me , "to tidy things up" along the well used path. A great disappointment when I had planned to collect some and make some delicious food.

Reactions: Harold Godwinson

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Many a conservation crime is committed in the name of 'tidying up' :(

I know all too well! In the last few years I've lost my best bramble patch, a damson tree, a wonderfully productive hazel , a wild gooseberry, a great sloe bush, and the raspberries. It means I'm now having to go further afield to get what I want. Though it did mean I discovered a sweet chestnut tree with a bountiful supply of small, but very sweet nuts.
All this in a rural area ,in the name of tidy. Grrrrrrr!
I now have squirrels raiding my bird feeders and destroying them, as their food sources dwindle. Something that has never happened in 23 yrs of being here.
That's what happens in a national park run as a business, by people with degrees who come from a town instead of rural people with no degree, but dozens of years of practical knowledge under their belts.
Sorry, degrees are useful, but practical knowledge is what keeps things rolling along on an even keel in a natural way.
I remember, going on a volenteer work party to clear scrub, mostly bracken and bramble. The park guy was unable to sharpen a slasher properly, so I had to show them. Very poor.
I also watched some guys hedge laying, they were making a right mess and I told them they were killing all the trees on the bank. Showed them where they were going wrong and to this day, you can see the point I intervened, all the prior "laying" is gone and the bank collapsing, as it was constructed in a manner that needed the roots to keep it stable.
That's the sort of practical knowledge that they don't realy teach on a degree.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
You did say it was ok to digress.

As an extension to the sharp n pointy bushcraft things I own I seem to have quite the collection of Swords, Axes , Maces ( Oh My !!... ) and other medieval period tools. So I would quite like to learn how to make a set of armour or armour pieces to accompany them - probably following the rather excellent David Guyot designs.

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You did say it was ok to digress.

As an extension to the sharp n pointy bushcraft things I own I seem to have quite the collection of Swords, Axes , Maces ( Oh My !!... ) and other medieval period tools. So I would quite like to learn how to make a set of armour or armour pieces to accompany them - probably following the rather excellent David Guyot designs.

So, you're fully versed in the skills of using them then? :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So, you're fully versed in the skills of using them then? :)

Pokey things??? Yep , been drawing blood ( my own.. ) for many a year now.

Done some HEMA and longsword stuff but I'm no Inigo Montoya.
Why do you ask ?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I also wouldnt mind doing some Earth based sculpture - the sort of thing made from natural materials and left in the forests and rivers.

Get me being all complex and stuff.. Not bad for a Devon Redneck. :)

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
Mushroom identification is daunting. There is a lot to know and a lot to get wrong, and the consequences of failure are somewhere on the diarrhea <---> death spectrum. I know a few very identifiable ones, such as parasol, king bolete, etc. But watching experts on Youtube makes me realize how little I know.

A lot of other things you can learn, in a pinch, like how to succeed with a bow drill. What's poisonous and what isn't is not a skill you want to merely "get better" at. ;)

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Mushroom identification is daunting. There is a lot to know and a lot to get wrong, and the consequences of failure are somewhere on the diarrhea <---> death spectrum. I know a few very identifiable ones, such as parasol, king bolete, etc. But watching experts on Youtube makes me realize how little I know.

A lot of other things you can learn, in a pinch, like how to succeed with a bow drill. What's poisonous and what isn't is not a skill you want to merely "get better" at. ;)
Agree with you on that - I decided to just be in a position to safely ID the top 20 that taste good and cant be confused with anything else as opposed to everything that is just about edible.

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Pokey things??? Yep , been drawing blood ( my own.. ) for many a year now.

Done some HEMA and longsword stuff but I'm no Inigo Montoya.
Why do you ask ?
No real reason, just amused that you detailed you wanted the skills to create the armour to protect against them so was curious to know if you had the skills to use them.

I practice quarterstaff and single stick with my grandson, but I'm no Little-John :)

• Haha

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I guess I know lot of the tricks of fairly modern trekking or camping but while I know of older techniques and skills I haven't tried or actually learned as many of them as I would like. One of these days ...

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I would quite like to learn how to make a set of armour or armour pieces to accompany them - probably following the rather excellent David Guyot designs.
We had a guy on our course at Uni that made his own chain mail out of split washers, often 'knitted' pieces in lectures.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE