Skill sharing weekend. March 12th, 13th, 14th, 2010

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Are you intending to come along for the weekend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Time to tidy this up and sort out what we would actually manage over the weekend, methinks :D

I have one final suggestion for something new.

How about we try to focus on a different tree each time ? That way anyone who has anything made from, or use for, that tree can bring it along, or make it there, talk, teach, learn, try......

I'm going to suggest that this meet we use the Birch.

It's native, it's common, it's useful :D

What can we do with it ??

I'll bring some fungi that grows on it.
Small basket made from it.
Little pot made from bark.
Dyed wools from it.
Tinder bundles.
Birch burr knife handles.

Anybody else interested in this ? Bring along whatever you have and we'll see what we can do with it.

We could make tar and glue over the weekend. Strip out and prep the fomes, try it for spindle and for hearth, let folks become familiar with it ?

cheers,
Toddy

Gailainne

Life Member
Thats a good idea Toddy, I'll dig out my old remedy books see if theres anything in there, and I have a birch burr in the raw (I think) I can bring along.

One thing I learned in Norway was using thin birch branches with buds, to build a wall as part of a game bird trap (snare).

I need to phone Andrew or George and book a spot :rolleyes:

Stephen

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'd like to see tar being produced...I've only made a small matchbox in bark...
Hoping to get there on Friday late afternoon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Normally Comriecroft uses raised fires.
Vince said that they said that hangi would be okay so long as the ground was properly restored when we were finished.

If they're fine with it, we could de turf and dig out the soil, get the tins in place and maybe cook over them for lunch ? then let it sit nice and hot for the afternoon. Get it opened out and cooled off that evening and restore everything early the next morning while the dew's on everything. That way the turf should recover fine and we're not hassled.
Or am I trying to over organise ? :eek: and there's a dead easy way to do it on the firebowls ?? :dunno:

cheers,
Mary

nelly

Mar 4, 2010
Brechin
I just bought the Time Out camping guide & found Comriecroft. I found the link to this site on theirs.

I plan to get a new tent in the next few weeks & if all goes to plan it looks like it'll be getting a trial run on the 12th.

Does anyone know how big the pitches are at the site?

Thanks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Michelle we'd love to have you there :D

So far the weather 'looks' cold and dry (pretty please, I'll even offer a libation to the genius loci for it :))

Hello Nelly and welcome to BcUK :D Why not tell us a bit about yourself in the Introductions forum ?
Pitches are random; basically it's a camping field but there are woodland pitches too.

cheers,
Toddy

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Toddy are withies the same as willows?

I was the Clerical bod for Lothian Play Forum (playschemes etc.) in the early 90's and the workshops they ran used lots of withies.

I've no idea if they are still going nor where they got their withies but I can try and find out if it would help?

Liam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If we can cut for ourselves it's better :D and excellent if we can find somewhere with permission to coppice.

For folks who haven't done any basketry, or who have, and know what they want, the bolts are easier.
It's just coming to the end of the time when we can harvest really. So we'd need to be quick off the mark.

When I saw the special offers on the brown stuff (it's a bit of a pain since it needs 3 or 4 days soaking unlike the whites and buffs that can be done very quickly, but it's still got the bark on and it looks more complete somehow) I realised that the cost of the postage would just bring it up to the usual price without any extra costs :approve:
Just an idea :)

cheers,
M

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Slight plan change - got to get daughter to guide selection weekend on the Friday, so will attend Sat and Sun only. Probably won't camp as it's only 5 mins down the road from home and young son has no body fat at all to insulate him...I've advised Comrie Croft accordingly.
I'll still bring along the parachute and stuff first thing Sat and still happy to chip in for hall fees.

NS

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Life happens :)
Thanks for letting us know, and we'll see you on the Saturday :D
Don't hassle about the 'chute, we've got the hall if it gets dire this time.
I could just ask Comriecroft for theirs, and with mine going up for cooking we'll manage. That way you'll have time to do the things you wanted.

cheers,
M

FordPrefect

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen
Hi,
I'm thinking of coming along with my wife and two children aged 4 (boy) & 7(girl).
I was just wondering, is anybody else bringing young children?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE