simple but easily forgotten cooking tips!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
when you have finished cooking with your pot or metal mug place it on a mat of twigs or grass, this will give it insulation and prevent it from cooling too quickly!

when cooking on open fires the pots always get black, i have two tips for this.

1. black soaks up heat so theoretically the pot should get hotter quicker!
by all means wash inside the pot but not washing the outside can be an advantage!

2. put a thin coat of washing up liquid on the base of the pot before you cook in it this will help the soot come off more quickly!

its always worth having some thick gloves or cloth handy to move hot pots about!

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
just a quick note on users with meths burners, if you put a small ammount of water in with the fuel (5-10% ish) then you don't get the soot on the bottom of your pans......

bagman

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2003
Oxon
A used tea bag works really well for getting the the black sooty stuff of the bottom of mess tins etc

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
several times whilst using my trangia it has :shock:
flared up unexpectedly, a fireball aprox 1 ft diameter!:yikes:

i see no reason why, i use pure meths, nothing fell into it, the times and weather it has happened are random.

i would like to use my trangia closer to my tent but daren't because of this!
:-?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:shock: :shock:
i know, i know,
i used to sell them too!

thanks for the advice i shall go about cleaning the holes :biggthump

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Natures washing machine:
Put the pot in a stream and put a stone in the pot and wait a couple of minutes. Works great with the trangia pots.

Sand and water works also great to wash your pots and pans.

Whitemoss (dont know what is called in english) works also great to wash up pots. I use it often when there is no water around.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Use a handful of grass pulled from a bank with roots and grit still attached like a scouring pad then wash out pot and hey presto clean.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
If it's burnt on food, then slugs are the answer...of course you've got to leave the pots out for a few nights so the wee buggers can do their job.....

Justin
My previous garden was hoaching with the wee buggers

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Good to know slugs are good for something!
I've resigned to having sooty pots, just shove em in a good old poly bag before putting them in yer pack. Cooking on embers rather than flames also helps
Rich

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Blackened pots transfer heat more efficiently. I was given an old Trangia clone (you know the cheap £10 copies) and I sprayed the outside of the pots with matt black, high temperature engine paint. They need to be put over the flame to "cure" the paint which is a bit smelly (put a little water in the bottom of each pot too). But once done it cuts down cooking times and the heat seems to be distributed more evenly.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i found this on my first bushcraft night out about a week ago
i was cooking on my hexicooker with my mess tin and it went realy black

S

Siecroz

Once you've used your mess tins/billycans... save a smidge of water and pour it onto either some grass, or onto some moss (moss works better).. then rub the tin onto the moss/grass.. circular motions sometimes work.

If your using Heximaine.. do it as soon as you can as cool Heximaine goes into a sticky substance and can be a b1t#h to clean... especially if you leave it to cool, and then cook on it again later without cleaning.

I recently used sphagnum moss on the inside of the tins after welding some pasta to the inside :lmao: . That worked great (also has a slight soapy and absorbant property when wet..)

Tea bags are good... but a time I think is the best solution. :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
If you have a fire add some ash and water to your pan.

Ash + water = alkali + gritty silica

alkali + fat = soap

soap + gritty silica + slight scrub = clean pan.

when you have washed the pan pour the water into the fireplace, this area has already been affected by the alkali.

Rinse with water and again pour it into the fireplace.

On the next rinse you can pour the water away elsewhere but not into the water source.

All too often I have seen people washing pans directly in streams or lakes only to pour the dirty water back into the clean source.

Always throw the water well back onto the land, this way the ground can filter out the organic materials, reducing contamination of your source water.

For a final rinse use clean drinking water or boil the water in the pan.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Wayland said:
All too often I have seen people washing pans directly in streams or lakes only to pour the dirty water back into the clean source.

Always throw the water well back onto the land, this way the ground can filter out the organic materials, reducing contamination of your source water

Big Bump.

S

Siecroz

Wayland said:
If you have a fire add some ash and water to your pan.

Ash + water = alkali + gritty silica

alkali + fat = soap

soap + gritty silica + slight scrub = clean pan.

Thats a superb post Wayland... I will try that next time

Thanks

:You_Rock_

P

Phantom

To be honest I don't see the problem with leaving the mess tins black.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE