Shower ? cleaning yourself clean !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
there should be a separate thread for those great things.

I used to use Nettle stalks, rubbed, as an inlay like an inner sole when I got blisters on my soles. Early teens. Dad tought me that, a thing the German soldiers did in WW2.

Plus I love Nettle soup. Better than Spinach.
It sounds like I am a freak, but Nettle leaves do not leave a reaction on my hands. Same with mozzies.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Only on arthritic joints - improves the blood flow, carries away toxins and reduces the inflammation....

Yep, works wonders when my joints get really bad; I remember my mother telling me that this was a very common treatment for arthritis sufferers back in the days when most folk couldn't afford doctors and modern medecines for such common ailments. There is a name for it which I can't remember offhand.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Janne, if you take a bunch of early nettles (the kind with very soft stems) and plunge them into boiling water for a minute or so, lift out and allow to drain…open up a pitta bread and stuff it with the nettles and feta cheese and some sliced olives and tomatoes, wrap in tinfoil and pop into the oven for ten minutes or so (or roast on a fire, that works well too), it makes a really tasty stuffed pita to go with soup. The nettle and cheese and olives add a kind of unami salty green that is balanced by the sweeter tomatoes. If you have some ransoms too to slice up fine and add, so much the better :D
If you don't have pitta bread to hand, then some puff pastry works very well indeed. It makes a kind of greenery stuffed cheese pastie. It works with a carefully split garlic or cumin naan bread too :cool:

M

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Yep, works wonders when my joints get really bad; I remember my mother telling me that this was a very common treatment for arthritis sufferers back in the days when most folk couldn't afford doctors and modern medecines for such common ailments. There is a name for it which I can't remember offhand.

I'd like more info on this, please. Joint pains seem to be an increasing feature in my life nowadays.

Info on elixir of youth might come in handy too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Meadowsweet works as a topical anti-inflammatory too. The nettles kind of give the body a blood flow rush that warms up the joints and clears out inflammation. It's a natural 'deep heat' :)
Doesn't mean it doesn't hurt, but when the joints are an aching misery, it's worth the stings.

On that note, having used nettles the length and breadth of the country, and being aware that there are really only two varieties here urtica dioica (the perennial one) and urtica urens (the annual one) I have to say that they vary enormously. Try to find ones that don't leave wee splintery stings actually in your skin. There's one patch around here that's a misery for days while others are really good to work with.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd like more info on this, please. Joint pains seem to be an increasing feature in my life nowadays.

Info on elixir of youth might come in handy too.

Urtication is how this is known; the only site I could find is an American one which might lead you further. I just take the affected joint to the nettles and give it a decent stinging, I've found that if I don't go beyond the area requiring relief there's no pain involved but great comfort to be derived.

I do have the secret of the Elixir but have decided to keep it in my own greedy little mitts!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/natural-health/natural-remedies-for-arthritis-pain-zmaz02fmzgoe

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
In Sweden and Finland we like to whip ourselves with a fresh bunch of Birch twigs ( preferably with leaves) while we do Sauna. a good splash of Vodka on the heater is also nice.
Good for all diseases, including Rheumatoid Artritis!

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
No, but you need something to cut or scrub off the oils, and there seemed to be a lot of talk about soaps and streams, but not phrased in such a way as to make it clear that these were mutually exclusive. And then there was:

Thinking how this would all read to someone with no other information or experience.

I've rarely used soap or shampoo in 20 years. I've never had a problem without it unless it gets up to week when camping or something but even then I's rarely use soap. But as I'm using warm water I don't know if it makes a difference cold. Lofty Wiseman said the IBAN washed twice a day but I assume it is cold water and without soap.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Meadowsweet works as a topical anti-inflammatory too. The nettles kind of give the body a blood flow rush that warms up the joints and clears out inflammation. It's a natural 'deep heat' :)
Doesn't mean it doesn't hurt, but when the joints are an aching misery, it's worth the stings.

On that note, having used nettles the length and breadth of the country, and being aware that there are really only two varieties here urtica dioica (the perennial one) and urtica urens (the annual one) I have to say that they vary enormously. Try to find ones that don't leave wee splintery stings actually in your skin. There's one patch around here that's a misery for days while others are really good to work with.

M

Don't forget the Fen Nettle Urtica galeopsifolia but that's no good to use as it does not sting or very few. Grows well in my woods and seems to prefer the damper areas. The fun starts when the nettles hybridise with the stinging variety then you seem to get a bit of both on the resulting plant.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Is it the one that is tasteless if cooked?

Stinging nettle has a wonderful, spinach like flavor. There is a plant that looks like s.n. but tastes like boiled grass.
( yes, I have eaten boiled grass......)

You are quite right but it's usually considered a sub species of U. dioica, and …..I don't think I've ever actually seen it.

Been googling
http://sppaccounts.bsbi.org/content/urtica-dioica-and-u-galeopsifolia.html

It's stingless, and even the hybrids aren't sting rich, so not much use for the urtication thing :dunno: though might be worth encouraging this variety for soup and fibre :D

M

Son has not shampooned his hair for 3 or 4 years. Looks good. Smells not. No zoo in it.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
evening all
i have a sea to summit shower due for delivery any day now and will hopefully test it this weekend.just with warm water.have to say nothing better than birthday suit in the woods and a billy of warm water poured over the head just before bed after a quick towel of course.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Clothing choice can also help keep the stink at bay. I like to take frequent "bird baths" if there is plenty of water about and soap only when necessary. Also as mentioned above away from water courses. Which isn't hard to do.

Certainly nothing quite like a brisk wash outdoors. The level if "briskness" determined by temperature and bugs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE