Shower ? cleaning yourself clean !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Am I missing something or are people actually encouraging pollution of waterways with soaps and detergents by suggesting washing in the streams and lakes? :(

US National Parks service stipulates washing yourself and your dishes 200 feet from water sources, biodegradable soap, and scattering grey water widely. In places like Sweden and NZ the locals say the water is clean enough to drink straight from the lake, don't we want to encourage keeping it that way? I know there are places where the occasional hiker washing in the river isn't going to have much impact, but they are fewer than you might think. (story of a fisherman in NZ hiking in miles to fish pristine water, then finding all the fish suddenly disappear. Up stream about a mile, a hiker had been washing his socks.)

Anyway, I have never managed hot showers in the middle of nowhere, best I manage is hanging a 2litre Dromlite with some warmed water from my stove + cold and washing the top half while bending over at the waist. Bottom half gets washed when going for a movement :p Means I never need to be fully undressed. Half of an E-Cloth works for scrubbing my face clean without soap. J-Cloth makes a great fast drying towel. I have a military type collapsible bowl, but most often use either my 900ml SnowPeak or my large stainless balti dish for a wash bowl, just less to carry.

Washing times are adjusted by weather, location and wildlife. Middle of the day might be the warmest, sunniest time. First thing in the morning might have a period after the midges and before the deer fly start up. The sheltered spot found mid morning might be more private than the campsite first thing.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I should have stated you are right to say so, If i am washing in a lake or stream the only soap i am using is made from saponified pure pine tar and coconut oil, made it myself no toxic **** in it

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I go for a billy full of water warmed up and a facecloth + bar of soap. Disposable razor and asda shaving oil for the face.

If going light then a pack of wipes, razor and oil and then powder for the nether regions.

Tonyuk

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Am I missing something or are people actually encouraging pollution of waterways with soaps and detergents by suggesting washing in the streams and lakes? :(

US National Parks service stipulates washing yourself and your dishes 200 feet from water sources, biodegradable soap, and scattering grey water widely. In places like Sweden and NZ the locals say the water is clean enough to drink straight from the lake, don't we want to encourage keeping it that way? I know there are places where the occasional hiker washing in the river isn't going to have much impact, but they are fewer than you might think. (story of a fisherman in NZ hiking in miles to fish pristine water, then finding all the fish suddenly disappear. Up stream about a mile, a hiker had been washing his socks.)

Anyway, I have never managed hot showers in the middle of nowhere, best I manage is hanging a 2litre Dromlite with some warmed water from my stove + cold and washing the top half while bending over at the waist. Bottom half gets washed when going for a movement :p Means I never need to be fully undressed. Half of an E-Cloth works for scrubbing my face clean without soap. J-Cloth makes a great fast drying towel. I have a military type collapsible bowl, but most often use either my 900ml SnowPeak or my large stainless balti dish for a wash bowl, just less to carry.

Washing times are adjusted by weather, location and wildlife. Middle of the day might be the warmest, sunniest time. First thing in the morning might have a period after the midges and before the deer fly start up. The sheltered spot found mid morning might be more private than the campsite first thing.

You don't need soap to wash yourself.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
No, but you need something to cut or scrub off the oils, and there seemed to be a lot of talk about soaps and streams, but not phrased in such a way as to make it clear that these were mutually exclusive. And then there was:
I had really good jobs with various inland/freshwater fisheries agencies. Messy, to say the least.
1. With some laundry detergent, wade in to the lake and wash myself very thoroughly.
2. Take off my clothes and rinse them, leave them on the pier.
3. Use a bar soap on my own hide to slosh out smelly-clean!

Thinking how this would all read to someone with no other information or experience.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland

I've noted this in my post above. I'm sad to say that many people disregard this information due to pure laziness.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Choices
1. Stink and not worry about it
2 wet wipes if no stream or spare water
3 boil water in mess tin flannel, shave do what's needed
4 best of all get in a stream with a flannel no soap and also put a pan in stream and wash on the bank

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Fast forward 40 years. Showering off with plain water works OK.
Every last drop of waste water in my house was plumbed into a holding tank.
Because I lived within 1,000' of open water.
Pumped out, that waste water was delivered to a large scale evaporative facility many miles from open water.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Like someone said, showers are a recent invention. I have a hot bath every birthday whether I need it or not: that depends if I've fallen in a river or not. I blame these new-fangled waterproof fabrics, a good downpour when out in the wilds used to do the trick: washed self and clothes at the same time.

Didn't have water shortages when I was young either, nor water pollution from soap in the mountain streams.

Don't know what you young folk do to get so dirty!

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm a Scot, and to quote my bother, it's written into the contract with the Maker,
"Scot, must be rained on twice a day!"…..I quite like feeling clean, and I can do it with just a pint of water, a couple of flannels and a wee scrap of soap….if I can't find soapwort, or lime or chestnut, that is.

There's a good topic for a thread….what's good to use for bushcraft soap ? :)

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Solvent partition, Janne. I had the luxury of climbing young Dougfir trees with the bark resin blisters bursting in gobs, all over my hands.
The concept is a stage by stage process.
1. Conifer pitch is hydrophobic. It dissolves very nicely in butter, margerine or cheap cooking oil. Wash your hands.
2. The mix now wipes off, for the most part, with paper towel. The residue dissolves easily in detergent & water.

Same deal to clean off the adhesive goo residue from product/sales labels. Even peanut butter works.

Rustee

Forager
Oct 9, 2014
Edge of The Wilds
My motto is, keep it simple.

I understand that most folks today are attracted to the convenience of new outdoor gadgetry and gear, however, I still enjoy and prefer wilderness adventuring in a natural old school primitive way.

I find a simple scrub or ‘bird bath’ with water is best and most efficient for me.
Briskly rubbing my skin with cold or warm water, sometimes I use a flannel or bandana and a bit of natural soap. I carry Dr. Bronner’s Tea Tree Soap in both a bar bit and small liquid bottle, along with a travel size talcum powder.

When I’m out in a remote area, I'm not going to waste precious drinking water for body washing and I don’t mind being some what naturally dirty, sticky or smelly for a few days.

FloatCloud, a couple of questions for you:

What is your remote water source?
Are you hiking back in or using a vehicle?
How long will you be back in, 3 days, a week, 3 months?

...I love the smell of the air in the 'middle of nowhere'. :)

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Toddy, please explain the Lime and Chestnut bit.
( I have only made tea from Lime flowers and eat the leaf buds. Chestnut - eaten the nuts, after boiling horse chestnut sort)

RV, will try. You are a Saviour! Never thought about using a fat. If at home I used to use Diesel Oil.

I normally scrape it off with a very sharp knife.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Grated conkers (horse Chestnut) well soaked and squeezed give a decent "soap", Horse Chestnut leaves crushed and soaked and squeezed do the same to a degree and the leaf itself then acts as an exfoliant scrubber (strange that foliage can be used as an exfoliant...) of sorts:)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I could make a fist and watch the resin oooooooze out between my fingers and drip on the ground.
We washed up with margerine then plain old hand soap & water.
I still do that to get resin blobs out of the dog fur if they have been snoozing under the spruce trees.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lime and chestnut leaves can create a lather of sorts when scrunched up and rubbed vigorously…so do birch leaves. No where near as good as the lather from soapwort….saponaria officionalis….which is truly lovely to use. No stink, to sting, no dryness, just moist green fresh cleanliness.

Nettles froth up too if agitated in hot water, and it does clean, but it stains if not careful, roses are lovely, but they can leave yellowish splotches on skin if not rinsed off.

I know there are plants used worldwide for such things, but I have only used the native ones.
John's right about the conkers, just be wary of them in watercourses because the blue/white de-oxygenates and can stun/kill aquatic life.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's just like making soup :D, then discard the leaves and use the water :D

Dehydration, compression or heating will destroy the stinging cells of the nettle.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE