shelters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rg1984

Feb 24, 2007
Lockerbie
Hi there,
Could anyone help me with advice about shelter building? Im going to the forest on sat and would really like to build a shelter to sleep in overnight. Are there any good links so I can do a bit of research before I set off? I've looked in my ray mears book and think the dome shaped one is probably best? Are they easy to setup and can you just pile leaves on if ferns are unavailable?

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
One thing I learned on a recent course is that the payback isn't worth it. I takes a long time to build a debris shelter espescially if you need it waterproof, which will require a significant, a foot or more, depth of debris.

Also continued use of debris shelters is not said to be too good to the forest environment unless you are very carefull to scatter the debris after you have used the shelter and leaf litter debris is a limited resource too.

It's a good thing to do once, as I have done, and usefull in a survival situation where you have no other option. But in terms of time to make and do and effort that you will use I'd say you're better off with a hammock/bivi and tarp or even a tent.

Just my 2p worth,

Tim

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
Hanzo
Yeah it does seem a bit thin.
The small air space around him and all the snow must go quite a long way in terms of insulation and would seal off heat robbing drafts much more effectively than a loose leaf layer.

RG
A few key bits of information I keep in mind when building;
Ground insulation is the key- no prob if you've got a carry mat.
Solid wood will stop rain much more effectively than leaves- remembering my geography lectures- more rain arrives on the ground by stemflow than leafsplatter.
Allow two hours or so for a nice warm one with several feet of leaves all around- leaves being easier to collect and nicer to sleep in than ferns.
The benefits to being able to heat the shelter ihmo cannot be underestimated in terms of warmth and effort of construction.

Also I find the shape, size and quality of the wood available is the deciding factor for the shelter type.

Best of luck, hope you have a blast.

U

unused[nl]

Good explanation, isn't the second shelter the same as those army guys had to builld in one of the episodes of Ray Mears Bushcraft?

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Hi rg

If you are only planning to stay one night in your shelter then the quickest and easiest is probably the single A frame and ridge pole. The ridge pole sits in one end of the A frame and the other end rests on the floor, instead of having a second A frame. It is thatched the same as all natural shelters but with the addition of a foil blanket you have the advantage of a waterproof barrier and a reflector to keep you warm. You should be able to construct this type of shelter in no time at all and with the foil blanket you can reduce the amount of thatching.

rg1984

Feb 24, 2007
Lockerbie
Thanks everyone for the replies and sound advice. I'll keep it all in mind for sat. Happy bushcrafting to you all!

Ross

U

unused[nl]

@Nigel

That's the same as the 2nd debris hut shown by RobertRogers isn't it?

U

unused[nl]

Ah ok :) Thought RobertRogers was doing the same, need to pay more attention

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
How about taking a few small plastic sheets with you and build a bender with willow or hazel dome? You can have one side open and a fire going. With this and it being summer I would doubt you would need any insulation.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hi there,
Could anyone help me with advice about shelter building? Im going to the forest on sat and would really like to build a shelter to sleep in overnight. Are there any good links so I can do a bit of research before I set off? I've looked in my ray mears book and think the dome shaped one is probably best? Are they easy to setup and can you just pile leaves on if ferns are unavailable?

If your in a forest then a lean to is your best bet as it is quick and easy to assemble and if its only for overnight a tarp and bivvi bag would be the answer

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
mace242 - in regards to the winter debris hut, if the weather is brutally cold and you have to spend the night in the forest you may have no real choice but to build such a shelter even if it takes a couple of hours.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Yes, there are alot of variables involved. In the winter there are probably few creepy crawlies.

Of course for the winter debris hut, the more snow insulation on top the better. But you need to bear in mind that there is often a limit to the amount of snow you can readily gather. If the snow ground cover is 6 or 8 feet deep then there is little problem in getting several feet of snow on top of the shelter. When this shelter was built the snow cover was only half a foot or so, and it took a great deal of effort to gather the amount you see.

What I am saying is that every situation is different and you can only use what is available. In a survival situation you will rarely have a text-book situation with all the time in the world to create something.

If I had to stay out over night in the winter I would much rather be in that debris hut than none at all!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE