Shelter build out in the woods, today(pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, i spent today up at Wooplaw Community Woodlands, here in the Scottish Borders, building a lean to shelter for Wooplaw25. I have organized a BCUK meet up for the event. Oh heres a link to the event http://www.wooplaw.org.uk/?page_id=879 and a link on here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89272.

Seeing that the event is open to the general public, i thought it would be good idea to have a shelter built, so people can see what Bushcraft is all about.

And i thought you might like to see my progress so far with the build. There are no man made materials used in this one either.

Once i collected enough branches,i got to work. Frame Started.
leanto800x600.jpg

Sides put in place.
leanto2800x600.jpg

Next it was time to gather Spruce roots, for the bindings. Next i split the roots and then 3 strand braided them.
I made 8 to ten feet worth.
leanto3800x600.jpg

And a close up.
leanto4800x600.jpg

The i bound on the poles to the main cross bar.
leanto5800x600.jpg

leanto6800x600.jpg

Next i wove sticks onto the back, which will take the thatching.
leanto7800x600.jpg

After that, i took finer twigs and wove them into the sides.
leanto9800x600.jpg

So all it needs now is the thatching.
leanto10800x600.jpg

Well thats where i,m upto just now. I will try and get back up next week,to get the thatching started.

And that was my day out in the woods.
Thanks for looking.

Cheers Stuart.

Oh ps, if you would like to come along to this free event, then just add your name on the BCUK thread.

Last edited:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
That's a great frame! Some lovely work on getting it secure and once thatched will be very effective. Nice work

Woadhart

Feb 24, 2012
Fife
Nice idea to weave branches for the thatching and extra strength rather than tying cross poles on.

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
That looks great! Better than all the half built shelters in my local woodland about 10 feet away from heavily used footpaths!
How long did that take around? Would love to sleep in a shelter i made myself one day.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, many thanks for the kind comments.

Looks good
any chance of a pic of someone or something in the next batch for scale please?
natural shelter is sometihng i haven't really got to play with apart form on courses

Hi Sam, the next time i,m up there i will get pics with some scale.

That looks great! Better than all the half built shelters in my local woodland about 10 feet away from heavily used footpaths!
How long did that take around? Would love to sleep in a shelter i made myself one day.

Hi outdoord, yeah i,ve seen many a half hearted shelters around various woods, it seems that people don't realize the amount of time and effort that goes into a well made shelter. The one i have done took me about 9hrs upto now,but that is taking into account,that i had too source all the materials,trim branches,dig up the spruce roots,then braid them up. It really is a time consuming operation, but you are better off getting it right first time around,as you will only get the benefit of a good nights sleep,if you have made a good water tight shelter. I have had my fair share of leaky shelters and its no fun,i tell you.

Anyway thanks again.

Cheers Stuart.

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi outdoord, yeah i,ve seen many a half hearted shelters around various woods, it seems that people don't realize the amount of time and effort that goes into a well made shelter. The one i have done took me about 9hrs upto now,but that is taking into account,that i had too source all the materials,trim branches,dig up the spruce roots,then braid them up. It really is a time consuming operation, but you are better off getting it right first time around,as you will only get the benefit of a good nights sleep,if you have made a good water tight shelter. I have had my fair share of leaky shelters and its no fun,i tell you.

Anyway thanks again.

Cheers Stuart.

Thank you very much for letting me know Stuart.
I will have to try it one day but will certainly take a spare tarp just encase.

Thank you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE