shell fish, where to go?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
I would like to go somewhere where i could collect and cook some shellfish ie razor calms, cockals, limpits etc. (Also it would be good to be able to light a fire to cook them although this bit could make it tricky to find so not as important.) I live in the south so dont really want to travel to scotland but somewhere perhaps on the south coast or devon would be good. Any help would be great

Steve

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
Razor clams live on the very far reaches of the low tide mark so your only chance to get them is at the bottom of a big spring tide. The one around mid-March is the most successful.

Cockles can be found on most sandy beaches but those with a flat nature (large expanse of sand when the tide goes out) are the best.

Never brought myself to eat limpets but most rocky shores have them.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Greatstone in Kent (near Dungeness) is a very good place to go cockling. Huge razor fish as well.
The groynes always have loads of mussels attached, but I've never picked them because mussels are one of those funny things. I imagine they're alright, but don't want to find out the hard way.
You have to be there early though. Good for lug worms as well, if you do sea fishing.
If you walk along in the Dungeness direction the upper beach is all pebbles and you can make a fire and boil your catch right on the beach in a 'pebble bowl' (don't know if that's the correct term, but that's what I call it and I'm sure you know what I mean) using some drift wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE