Sharpening help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 19, 2013
Southwestern USA
I purchased a combination stone (its a natural arkansas, soft/hard). And no matter how long I use the stone my blade gets DULLAR not sharper. So, I figured I need a coarser stone. Here is my problem:

I don't have one

I read that you can use sandpaper, but I don't have that either. So, is there something else I can use????

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! *pulls out hair*

MongooseDownUnder

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
A rock. In all seriousness though it may be something you are doing unless it is a new knife then the factory edge may not be very good. The secret to a sharp knife is repeating the same sharpening angle every time.
Cheers
Adrian

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It's more likely your technique that's letting you down than the sharpening stones.

Have a look at the videos for knife sharpening by Ben Orford, he explains it very clearly so it might help you :)

[video=youtube;8BOs20c9gy8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BOs20c9gy8[/video]

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I use King waterstones, for my knives. 1200/6000 and 800 grit. It can be pretty expensive stuff. I dont know what grit you are using?

But occasionally I need something a bit coarser, and I've been using one of these for a while now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160807853753?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

They are the size of a bench stone, and come with a plastic block, and four coarse grits. 200/300/400/600

The plastic block has rubber anti slip feet.

Ive reprofiled a couple of knives with them.

For £8.54 delivered, they work very well.

Look for something similiar Stateside. It'll probably be even cheaper over there.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sounds like you're not getting your angles correct, have a think about a guide kit like this sort of thing LINK Will make your life much easier. Now not usually a fan of these things but this one is great, cheap, easy to use, puts a good edge on and very portable, keep one in my pocket folders pouch. LINK.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Chances are your knife has an acute final bevel (so if you looked at it in profile the slopes of the bevel are more Mount Fujii than dunces cap). so when you are sharpening on your stone you aren't actually grinding away the edge.

Clean your knife then use a sharpie to colour in the edge and side of the blade. Now try sharpening it. You should be taking off metal right to the very edge, so it will be shiney right to the edge. You'll need a magnifying glass to check unless your eyesight is very much better than mine.

If the bevels are too acute, the blade probably needs reprofiling.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE