Sgian Dubh

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi everyone! :eek:

This is my second attempt at making a Sgian Dubh, which is part of a large commission with HWMBLT.

Customer wanted a rose wood handle, damascus blade and a brass ferrule, he left the style and design up to me, so this is what I came up with. Unfortunatly I forgot to take work in progress pics :(

I had a lot of problems with making this knife, I'd never worked with rose wood before and I dont think I will again!!
It polished up lovely, but it took forever to sand down into any real shape, I used all sorts of grades of sand paper and chisels and files, didnt realise it would be so tough!
It was also my first time fitting a ferrule and I messed up a little, just couldnt get the end of the knife to fit snugly into the ferrule, so I had to seek advice from the wise one (dad) for advice on how to fix it!

Once that was sorted, I glued the ferrule on, mixing sawdust off the knife into the glue so it kind of matched! I thought that had gone swimmingly, until I awoke next morning to find that I had probably been a bit too over enthusiastic with the glue!
So the long process of sanding and chiseling started again to try and get rid of the excess glue which was plastered everywhere, again advice was sort from the wise one, who guided me on what to do!

For some reason we have a large amount of olive wood lying around, which dad has been experimenting with, and we decided to use a bit of this on the knife too (its just underneath the ferrule) This was partly to hide some untidyness, add length which was lost because I messed up and we just thought it looked nice!

It has been an interesting project for me, Ive learnt alot with making this knife and im pretty pleased at how it turned out concidering I thought id totally messed it up!

Thanks for looking :eek:

(sorry about poor quality pics)

cimg2281p.jpg

cimg2283a.jpg

cimg2286p.jpg

cimg2290.jpg

cimg2284w.jpg

cimg2289x.jpg

cimg2265w.jpg

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thats always the hard part of starting ^^, but you learn in every attempt
I currently am starting in the realm of Leatherwork, Knife making Smithing and Bowmaking, so pretty much all my days are filled with screwing up nowadays ^^
But luckily if you have the craftman bug inside of you, ye can fix it and make it look good, and as Eric Methven told me, every time you mess up, it adding character.
So I'm just saying my pieces have a lot of character in these days ;)
But it looks lovely so Great job!
Yours sincerely Ruud

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Well, I'm obviously not the customer, but I wish I was- that's absolutely gorgeous and would be very chuffed to have it in ma sock!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE