Sewing Machine - First timer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Ok so i have a mountain of badges i need to sew onto my camp blankets....yes blankets, i have that many badges and my handsewing is dire, to the point that a fish could do better! So am looking to invest in a sewing machine, no idea on what to go for or what to look for and it's been a good decade or so since i used one in Textiles at school so any help in what to look for etc would be grand ^_^

I don't need it to do anything fancy (although if it can do blanket stitch it'd save me trying to learn it!) just sew on badges onto a standard MOD wool blanket, you know the grey surplus types.

Budget-wise, not a clue but a quick check on Amazon etc for their populars brings up a Brother LS14 so would say upto £70?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you've got a budget of £70 then look for an electric singer like a 99k or 201k on ebay.

One of these would then be suitable for heavyweight sewing should you want to start making your own kit

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
There's something appealing about using a hand-cranked Singer. I have a 99K and it's great. It can get a bit tedious if there are long lengths to sew and it only does the one stitch. But it will probably last forever and only requires your effort to work. Somehow, stuff made with it feels more hand-made.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive got a couple of machines on offer but they need fettling...still, a good way to learn about them.

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
my 99k hand crank will go through 3 layers of upholstery leather with no problem (with a new leather needle of course). I use guterman thread in mine, super strong and loads of colours.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE