Sewing machine advice for leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Generic - at least most machines should be. My needles are flat on one side and about 2.5mm diameter if that helps

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but a quick question..... Now I have the needles I foolishly thought they would use the thread I use when hand sewing..... It's too thick for the needle holes..... Doh

What thread should I be using?

Orric

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but a quick question..... Now I have the needles I foolishly thought they would use the thread I use when hand sewing..... It's too thick for the needle holes..... Doh

What thread should I be using?

Orric

In my old singer, I'm using a waxed linen shoe thread with Singer leather needles. Its about the same thickness as button thread. Its the biggest stuff I can get to work with mine. Is the thread seperating or snapping as it passes through the eye?

greensurfingbear

In my old singer, I'm using a waxed linen shoe thread with Singer leather needles. Its about the same thickness as button thread. Its the biggest stuff I can get to work with mine. Is the thread seperating or snapping as it passes through the eye?

The thread I have at he moment doesn't even go through the eye of the needle its to thick. I tried to use the same thread I use when I hand sew stuff but think I'll need new thread......

Orric

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
if you put thread through the eye hold thread tight and it slides up n down easy without getting snaged then it will sew in ya machine always use thinner thread in the bottom bobbin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE