Selway Fisher Canoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Anyone had a go at building one of these before ? Any tip's you might have ?
Just got the plans for a 15'8" Prospector, for something to do when the weather's a bit more stable...

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Well the plans are sat on the desk at the mo. At the moment i'm working out what exactly i need to get, apart from the plywood. The plans look pretty straight forward though, so when all the bits are together, i dont think it'll take ages to build. I will of course photo the whole build, if anyones interested..

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
To be honest hootchi, without trying them all, i couldn't say. My main reasoning was ease of construction (stitch and tape versus strip plank) - this gives relative lightness. A simpler and shorter build time, and the length was long enough to be adaptable, and short enough (hopefully) for solo. That said it would be more fun two's up. Also being a bit of a lard ar$e i figured extra length for bouyancy. And the final reason - bit of a tight wad, so i figured a build would be about half the price of a second hand one, and more fun :D .
Having said that, the more planks in the construction, the more rounded the hull will be - the pete' and the prospector, would be quite similar in that respect - the wren from what i can see is 2 plank per side, so it would follow that it might be slightly less stable - and it's the longest of the three !!. Also the quickest to build.
I think the prospector is more of a known quantity. At least it's the only one with a website about it !!: http://www.webcdi.com/Prospector/

hootchi

Settler
thanks IB. it seems the peter' has less rocker so may track better with only one person where as the prospecter may need some weight in it.

if i am remembering correctly i think someone here made on of these from plans. dunno which one it was but it was very nice indeed. :cool:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi IB, A friend and I finished building one in febuary, they are beautiful boats, but take a helluva lot of time to build, but wellworth all the effort ! Unfortunately the second part built boat burned down last week along with the barn it was in :(

DSC_1438.jpg

Staining her (Midnight) was alot of hassle, I'm not sure iwill bother on the next one. And we used 4mm marine ply as opposed to 6mm which made it alot lighter. However it proved too flimsy, and looked like it would "tin can", so we reinforced the bottom with some thin ribs (see picture). Next time I'd use 6mm for the bottom 2 chines and 4mm for the rest.
The hull goes together pretty quickly, to form the shape of the boat, but taping,finishing and fitting it out take alot of time.
We used epoxy, but discovered it doesn't like cold or damp conditions.

Any questions give me a shout.

Happy paddling

Rich

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Erm I can't quite remember.....
But I reckon it actually ended up at about £400 ish
I figured it would cost about half that :rolleyes:
I think I might have broken it down before on here somewhere...
Ply I think was about £80
Epoxy resin about £120 - £90 for 5 litres, then we ended up buying 2 more smaller kits.
Erm Ash for the fittings was about £50
Stain ended up costing £60 !!!
Varnish was about another £40 (We used Tonkinois - natural oil based yaght varnish)
Then all the other bits, brushes tubs, stainless steel nut and bolts, webbing for the seats, brass screws, sanders etc
It soon adds up.
Cheers
Rich

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
She looks lovely mate -the ribs really give it a look too. If i time it right,should be able to spead the cost over a 2 pay months - and 400 quid aint bad for something as pretty as that, with the pride thing thrown in as well.
What would you say was the most awkward part of the build ?

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi
Yes it is a Prospector -We cut about 1&1/2" out of the "freeboard" and tapered it upto the ends. When the hull went together it looked a bit like a supertanker ! We may have improved the look, but I think I'd leave it in next time.
The prospector is a brilliant design of canoe, I have paddled various versions of it in plastic and roylex, and enjoyed them all. None as much as this wooden one which is a joy to paddle. It tracks (goes in a straight line) really nicely, so is ideal for cruising. I chose it as the ideal boat for touring -2 people + camping duffel + the dog, and still has load capacity to spare.
She also paddles really nicely solo. She is such a light boat, that it requires very little effort and just glides along silently.
The hardest part for us was definitely the epoxy. We had all sorts of problems with it. Tapes wrinkling up, epoxy going off exothermically like a volcano !, fillers turning white or pink (the second boat got nic named the pink panther) and the epoxy generally going cloudy/milky not clear. - Epoxy doesn't like cold or damp, and the best filler according to the boat builders I spoke to is clean saw dust.
The other tricky bit was the where the gunwhales and deck join, we tried to be a bit flash and blend one into the other with a nice curve. it proved very tricky, as the sides of the boat move until stiffened with the gunwhales, so the angles keep changing.
The plans are excellent, the description on how to put it together is er lacking to say the least. We think this is written for someone with experience of boat building (by someone with experience), not us complete novices. You will have to use your head, and be creative in a few places.
I hope that helps, any questions/advice feel free to ask.
I have lots of photos of the early stages of the build, so i'll try and put something together.
Cheers
Rich

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That looks great, and I bet you had loads of fun making it! As it is made of marine ply, does that make it heavy? Have you any idea of the weight?

Also, can you scale it up and down to make larger or smaller canoes?

Spamel

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Spot on Rich, if you could perhaps show some of the pics through the build that would be brill !!
Now, where's my credit card.....Got some ply to buy....

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
No Worries,
I see no reason why you couldn't scale it down. I believe that the Peterborough is pretty much just that, but there are other smaller and larger designs available too.
Weight wise I really don't know, I'd have to weigh it. Its the lightest canoe that I have paddled though, and that includes smaller solo boats.
IB (or IBS :p ) You aren't that far away if you want to come take a look/paddle ?
Cheers
Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE