Seen 10,000B.C.? Think you can do better?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Are you after a holiday by any chance Q? :lmao:

I think there are better more skilled people who would be better suited to such a project. Would love to tho. This is the wonder of the new media age we're in, it doesn't rely on any one of us to make it work. Grab a camera and go.

J

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I think there are better more skilled people who would be better suited to such a project. Would love to tho. This is the wonder of the new media age we're in, it doesn't rely on any one of us to make it work. Grab a camera and go.

J

You have a very good point.

I'd watch it; I would like to take part but wouldn't be able to bring the armchair :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
You have a very good point.

I'd watch it; I would like to take part but wouldn't be able to bring the armchair :)

That's easily solved... we could take John Fenna with us and he could build you an armchair!

I don't see why its not doable... there is quite a bit of TV footage shot on GoPros... generally filler stuff, but it could work.

Not sure about a Scandinavian island though... it'd be cold :(

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
That's easily solved... we could take John Fenna with us and he could build you an armchair!

I don't see why its not doable... there is quite a bit of TV footage shot on GoPros... generally filler stuff, but it could work.

Gopro's latest model shoots upto 4K resolution. More than good enough quality for what we would need. The reason for suggesting them is they allow for footage in places you might not be able to get a DSLR.

As for the DSLR, they are a mature technology now, an Episode of House was shot using a Canon 5D MkII, this is a camera that you can buy for under a grand (or under 2 grand for the newer Mark III).

Kickstarter anyone?

Not sure about a Scandinavian island though... it'd be cold :(

AH, there is madness to my method. Reasons for suggesting Scandiwegia:

• Wilderness - lots more of it than the UK
  • Hunting/fishing law - You can bow hunt in parts of Scandiwegia, this makes thins more realistic, and also slightly easier. Ditto more liberal rules on fishing.
  • A Scandi summer is surprisingly warm.
  • Birch forests provide a lot of really useful materials.

This is just a crazy idea I'm throwing out there, I'm not saying it's perfect right off, but the basic principles are there.

J

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I think this idea has got mileage! I've done kickstarter and indiegogo, and we the trees as crowd sourcing, and there might be other trusts or funders to ask too.. Happy to help to raise some cash - and what about planning for a nice scadieweigian Island next year?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Sounds really cool... be a brilliant adventure if nothing else.

Perhaps instead of rushing in with a full scale Kickstarter thingy... why not do something small scale to test the viability of it to begin with? There are enough meets going on across the country that could take some basic camera equipment and a rough plan of how it was going to be filmed... get the raw footage, edit it and release it on YouTube. Test the water on home soil before going for an island adventure?

If it works on a small scale, you also have all the footage needed to put together a brilliant Kickstarter video and it would give backers the confidence that it was achievable as well.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Sure - something in a wood in maybe South Wales, in, oh I don't know, August, just to do some potential discussion and vox pops to camera.. For pre kick starter phase. I think I was born with a planning gene... This may be way too real way too fast.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The really skilled people just slide in there, do their thing and slide out just as quietly.
With the satisfaction of having had a good time. People watch TV to feel good about themselves
while others upscrew and snarl at eachother.

Look at the islands and fjords of the west coast of British Columbia. Of course, sea levels were maybe 200' lower
10,000 - 30,000 yrs ago as people came in from Beringia. But, the coast is still sopping green/wet/lush,
multipurpose trees everywhere, some copper metal deposits and an absolute banquet of food both on land
and in the water (fresh & salt). Just getting there is 95% of the battle.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Sure - something in a wood in maybe South Wales, in, oh I don't know, August, just to do some potential discussion and vox pops to camera.. For pre kick starter phase. I think I was born with a planning gene... This may be way too real way too fast.

Only problem with using a large meet is losing the focus on the individual activity. If you follow the format of modern survival style programmes, they tend to focus on the group dynamics, which instantly makes it into some sort of reality tv nightmare, whereas if you focused on the individual, more like Ray Mears does, the audience may well learn something rather than looking at an argument or debate they could easily see at any caravan park in the land.

Thinking about it though, you could individually focus on people setting up camp, do it in a docusoap format where you move from person to person, rarely showing the group as a whole?

A larger meet does lend itself to finding a good number of people comfortable in front of a camera though.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I was thinking of maybe a smallish group chat round a fire with cups of tea/beer to camera about the idea of doing it, what skills people would want to explore, what sort of people might be interested, why it might go pear shaped fast! And the fun side of it too... Just as a starter for ten..

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I was thinking of maybe a smallish group chat round a fire with cups of tea/beer to camera about the idea of doing it, what skills people would want to explore, what sort of people might be interested, why it might go pear shaped fast! And the fun side of it too... Just as a starter for ten..

That's a really cool idea! I like that!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE