"seasoning" aluminium pans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Can aluminium pans be seasoned like cast iron ones and does it work? I'm sick of bacon sticking to the pan when cooking and non stick isn't an option for me - I always end up scratching it.

Cheers

Mike

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I've tried this and it did work. I used ordinary kitchen oil, rubbed over the pot with a cloth or paper towel and then set it on top of my trangia in the garden and let it burn away. It might take a few goes but it works.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I assume then that this will also work on the standard aluminium campset as it would be good to convert that to non-stick aswell. It would make them more versatile and alot easier to clean.

Will go looking for the tutorial later

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Just take a £2 non stick flan pan from Wilkinsons (get the right size and they fit a Trangia too), for what they cost you can afford to scratch them. I've never 'seasoned' (if thats in fact possible) aluminium pans as I don't burn my food;)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Just take a £2 non stick flan pan from Wilkinsons (get the right size and they fit a Trangia too), for what they cost you can afford to scratch them. I've never 'seasoned' (if thats in fact possible) aluminium pans as I don't burn my food;)

I don't burn mine, but I do like my bacon crispy and the fat sticks to the Alu - it doesn't burn it just sticks, I want it to go brown and crispy on the bacon, not on the pan. I have a set I like that's the right size so if I can season it to make it non stick then that's the least waste solution.

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
I don't burn mine, but I do like my bacon crispy and the fat sticks to the Alu - it doesn't burn it just sticks, I want it to go brown and crispy on the bacon, not on the pan. I have a set I like that's the right size so if I can season it to make it non stick then that's the least waste solution.

Indeed. i use a lightweight aluminum pot as dutch over and it definitely needed and took seasoning!
See attached image
Aluminium-Cooking-Pot.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The short answer is NO! You can try and it WILL help. But true "seasoning" requires the fat (oil/seasoning) be burned in. Aluminum just won't take the required temps.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But it can be done on iron in a household oven that only goes up to about 250 deg C??

Yes. Cast iron will absorb the heat EVENLY. Whereas the aluminum won't. But TBH 250c (428f) is the minimum I'd go with CI. I'd rather do my CI outdoors.

What is quite common for aluminum though is to try to build up a layer of black carbon on the OUTSIDE of the pans. That same layer many try so hard to scrub off. it will help core that uneveness of aluminum's heat distribution.

Last edited:

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
Sounds good to me. And undoubtedly cast iron takes seasoning well and performs better than the experiences that i have had with teflon.
That said, seasoning ally pots does definitely improve them. Though they will never be as good as cast iron!

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Yes. Cast iron will absorb the heat EVENLY. Whereas the aluminum won't. But TBH 250c (428f) is the minimum I'd go with CI. I'd rather do my CI outdoors.

What is quite common for aluminum though is to try to build up a layer of black carbon on the OUTSIDE of the pans. That same layer many try so hard to scrub off. it will help core that uneveness of aluminum's heat distribution.

Why does it not heat as evenly? the heat capacity and thermal conductivity of aluminium are far higher than for iron. Aluminium should make a far better material for heavy pans and DO's except the low melting point and its food sticking.

I think it is more likely that iron oxides does not bond to the iron where alu does. Then I think it is the strength of iron carbon bonds that allow seasoning to start and then build up on its self in many graphite layers which are low stick.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Not sure about that one santaman, as a pot material aluminium is better than iron I thought.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not sure about that one santaman, as a pot material aluminium is better than iron I thought.

No. Generally in order of preference (for even cooking reliability) it's:
1. cast iron
2. copper
3. steel
4. aluminum

At least for metals. I'm not sure just where clay and glass fit in there. And TBH I don't really know about titaniun either.

But aluminum is more popular because it's lighter and cheaper.

Last edited:

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
that combined with thermal mass, ally also looses heat a lot quicker.
Conductivity just means it gets hotter and cooler quick.
AA very thick ally pot works well though, and is considerably lighter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE