Scouts and knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I am an explorer, and our scout group has a somewhat pragmatic view of knives. basicaly you can carry any knife that is legal, Unless:
A) the leaders decide that the knife is unsuitable (eg a combat knife)
B) The leaders decide that knives are unsuitable (generally)
C) the leaders decide that it is unsafe for you to have one.
D) People are messing about with them, in which case all knives may be confiscated
E) your name is sam "The thumbless wonder" smith (who cut both his thumbs with a swiss army knife within two hours)

As a rule, older, more sensible scouts are given more leeway, and at times I have been told that while the younger scouts where being told "no knives" that I could carry mine, so long as I kept it out of sight.
<RANT> There have also been times when we have been expected not to carry knives, as a certain member of the district team was present. this member is convinced that anyone under 18 is automaticaly dangerous with a knife (but feels it perfectly ok for a 14 year old who has only just joined explorers to lead a group of cubs with minimal leader supervision, and at the time no training, durin a camp) 2nd time this happened his first words to me where "IS THAT A SHEATH KNIFE?" (to be honest there was little else it could have been) bear in mind this was a "survival" based camp. Go figure </RANT>

Personaly I am never wihtout a knife on camp, and it is a common sight to see me carrying my mora frost clipper. (then again untill recently it wasn't unusual to see me wandering around scout camps in millitary style webbing, so maybe im not the best example). outside of camp I usualy have a small (2 and a bit inches) non locking folder, whenever I attend scouts/explorers.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I also just got told (by annother scout) that the sheath has to have a strap to hold the knife in (on fixed blades), has anyone else heard this, or is it just a local rule? after all I carry a mora (which doesn't have a strap securing it) but the sheath can happily be carried inverted for extended periods of time. so why would I need a strap?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE