Scottish Exped - August

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
We've recently booked the flights up to Scotland to spend just over 2 weeks walking "Not the West Highland Way" (http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/615/title/Not-the-West-Highland-Way). I'm used to shorter trips 2-4 days and spend most weekends outside so I'm quite happy with most of the kit we're going to be carrying - although some of it will be new for review, with some use before to test suitability. This is our first trip to the Scottish Highlands and you can probably guess what my first line of questions are going to be on... yep the Midges. We're stupidly going at the worse time of year for this, but unfortunately due to normal work commitments don't have much choice. I've spent some time reading around and I've got a few tactics planned to try depending on terrain and weather conditions.

Firstly which midge jacket do I get - Beatons (http://www.midgejacket.co.uk/jackets.html) or Bug Shirt (http://www.bugshirt.com/diagrams.htm). Is Autan still the repellent of choice? I'll probably take some DEET based as well but would be nice to use something that isn't going to melt different bits of kit (I've had past issues with that)...

There is definitely going to more on this as I get further down the planning route.

Cheers

Matt

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well I swear by the Beatons one :D
It's made in Canada but it's made for a Scottish company.
I've got one you can try if you like ?

And I use the Autan.....but, I also have at present seven different other ones in the house.
No one antimidge suits everybody :sigh: or every midgie area.

The only thing that does work, without fail, is the midgie jacket :D

atb,
Mary

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Gailainne got a bunch of us into Nordic Summer a couple of years ago and so far it's worked for everyone I've seen using it.

Last year I went for a walk in the wood in a t-shirt on a day that would usually have had me running for cover or the canoe. I was already convinced about the stuff after a few bad(ish) trips but that day they were awful and not a nibble.

Still use nets and the likes. I don't mind the smell of the Nordic Summer too much(I'll let it away with it because it works) but can't really go it all day long so I tend to net up in the morning then use the repellent in the evening if it looks like they're going to be bad.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another vote for the Beaton and Nordic Summer, all you ever need really

I heard a rumour that Avon were going to stop making the SSS stuff so it might be worth hunting some down if anyone uses it.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
^

I recall reading somewhere last year that Avon had changed the formula so the stuff on sale now (unless it's old stock) doesn't have the some anti-midge properties.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Tried the Avon stuff last year at Loch Doon and was very disappointed. It was a very bad night mind you but we ended up packing up and leaving

Dave

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
you are unlucky if you are getting midgie trouble all day long, they are usually worse first thing in the morning and in the evening. Any strong winds, heavy rains or strong direct sunlight and they usually hi tail it. They are worse by water sources or bogland etc. If you are walking most of the day, then a simple midgie net will do you in the morning and evening, ive lived up here and im out most weekends and they just aint as bad a people make out, they are only here for the summer and they do not hang round all day long unless you are unlucky, when they are out i tend to try to keep on the move, go for a walk etc till they settle down......See them as you friend, without them, you would be sharing gods country with millions of other people......

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Another thing - midgies tend to be fussy in my experience and go for certain types of people and not others. If you find people near to you are suffering from them, then you can always keep them close to hand as midgie bait :)

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Another thing - midgies tend to be fussy in my experience and go for certain types of people and not others. If you find people near to you are suffering from them, then you can always keep them close to hand as midgie bait :)

:) I do actually know a few people that would make great "sacrificial lambs" never seen so many bites.

Cheers for the help I'll get a couple of the Beatons jackets and probable a bottle of each of the Autan and the Nordic Summer, hopefully one of them will work for us. I was planning on moving as much as possible during the day and then either pitching higher up or the other option was to pitch early and sleep for a few hours until dark then walk for another couple in the evening, we both enjoy night hiking so that wouldn't be problem.

Next steps are to compare book to maps and work out the route with any possible side trips etc, go through existing and new kit and see how much we can shave off safely.... oh and get fitness levels up.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's very true. One of my sons appears to be totally immune to the blighters but his brother gets eaten alive :sigh:

Matt, if you have time and want to meet up, let us have dates and we'll see about arranging something :) There are a lot of us around the area :cool:
If you're flying up, are you taking public transport out to the start of your walk, or would you like a lift ?

cheers,
M

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Cheers for the offer Mary, we're still in the early stages of planning. We're flying into Glasgow and initial thoughts were to catch a train to Milngavie, I'll let you know when I know some more. Are you going to the Moot this year?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Still not sure; I have family who are very ill. Thankfully Tony isn't asking for a yes or no right now :)

It'd be easy enough to pick you both up and drop you off at Milngavie, or if you have another place you'd rather start from ? I can collect you again at the end and get you back in time for your flights too. It means you have options of not being restricted to the bus timetables or routes.
Have a think about it and let me know ?

atb,
M

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Lithril do you get bitten by midges ?, In our family midges dont seem to like me but they bring my wife and youngest out in lumps. If like me and they dont like you all I use is a midge net on my head to stop me itching, If they like you all I can say is the products already recommended.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Growing up on Knoydart we always used Autan - that's the old school heavy duty Deet up to your eyeballs stuff. Works a treat, can't say it did me much harm but maybe I was lucky. Here's a run down of Deet related ill effects:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/consultations/deet/health-effects.html

I think as long as you're sensible, not a child, not pregnant, and stop using it if you get any side effects - it is probably safer than a lot of people suggest it might be. But that's just my opinion.

I've never worn one of those net bags over my head - and never will either.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Lifesystems stuff works for me but its the terrible old deet stuff, jungle formula cream is the most forgiving on the skin from the deet range, avoid skin so soft if its for more than a couple of days or you expect it might be sunny, your face might just crack open!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE