Rucksack/ Bergen Deciding!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fell Monkey

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2012
South Cheshire
After much deliberation I think I have decided on a Karrimor Sabre 45 for time out in the woods and fells. I am leaning towards the DPM as dislike the look of the green with black straps (unless anyone knows where green with green straps are available?!). I am 5 foot 8 and have been described as of a "wiry" build! Will a sabre suit? Hard to make a decision on such an investment without seeing it in the flesh.

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
i have a sabre 45 and mine has green straps ,never seen a green one with black straps.(though sometimes they look darker in the photos)
its a very good pack especially as it has the side zips for bergan pouches which seriously increase carry capacity if needed.

Last edited:

tim_c

Feb 23, 2012
Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
I've just got myself a Karrimor Sabre SF 75 to replace my 45 (which is green with green straps and in excellent condition) -- If you're near Bury St. Edmunds you're welcome to try it out for size. I'm 5'10" and hefty build and the 45 was always very comfortable.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I think you're spot on size wise for it. They come in black & coyote too now.

Have you seen this review ?, a lot of rambling but many things covered..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofT3vqVYGZY

A better look at the straps/webbing..
img1710vy4-1-1-1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I doubt you'll have a problem with size, I have a 23" back measurement which is at the top end of pack sizing.

My Sabre is plenty big enough. Green with green straps too.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Better yet, go to the like of Cotswold Outdoor with a few models in mind, if they've got the models, go in and try then on.....then buy it from somewhere cheaper :D

Fell Monkey

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2012
South Cheshire
My decision is set on a Sabre, 45 litre, as with the side pouches I should have the capacity I require. It does appear that the photographs shown online are not a clear representation of the colour of the straps. It seems the going price for the Sabre 45 is £100, does anyone know of anywhere selling at a lower price?!

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Better yet, go to the like of Cotswold Outdoor with a few models in mind, if they've got the models, go in and try then on.....then buy it from somewhere cheaper :D

And that's exactly how to put retailers out of business. If everyone did this all we'd be left with is the likes of Go Outdoors with their fake discounts!

Fell Monkey

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2012
South Cheshire
And that's exactly how to put retailers out of business. If everyone did this all we'd be left with is the likes of Go Outdoors with their fake discounts!

What happens is that the small businesses cant match the price, due to lower stock levels, so a higher price is paid to the supplier. "Go Outdoors" is a large business, so will purchase large amounts from the supplier for a much lower price. The overall winner is the large online seller, who has low overheads and purchases high amount of stock for a low price. To survive in this cruel market, you have to have a "niche" or a "SP" or selling point, where there still lies opportunity for the small factory producing good quality products with good after sales service, for those that want to persue using the product longterm.

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
are they the endicott pouches you linked to as ive ordered a pair as they look alot better suited than my dpm zip top pouches and alot cheaper than the karrimoor pouches.
what are they like quality wise ,as endys have said they have proved very popular.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
If your going to be doing a lot of walking I would recommend osprey packs, look for the ones that are made of cordura. IMHO they are a lot better than the millitary style packs, lighter better fit and very durable. If you join cotswolds loyalty card you get 20% of packs in April.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
are they the endicott pouches you linked to as ive ordered a pair as they look alot better suited than my dpm zip top pouches and alot cheaper than the karrimoor pouches.
what are they like quality wise ,as endys have said they have proved very popular.

I use these on my packs, mine were made by Arktis, cracking bit of kit... once i cut some of the straps off

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Yep- I have those side pouches on my sabre 60-100. The olive green is a little darker than the karrimor green, but perfectly serviceable alternative to PLCE pouches- not quite as 'fat' and a little taller, but still fit anything with PLCE side zips. They are made by Arktis-not sure why Endicotts doesnt advertise this. There has been some debate what the purpose of the included paracord is- I don't think we have found an answer yet!

Fell Monkey

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2012
South Cheshire
If your going to be doing a lot of walking I would recommend osprey packs, look for the ones that are made of cordura. IMHO they are a lot better than the millitary style packs, lighter better fit and very durable. If you join cotswolds loyalty card you get 20% of packs in April.

Im akin to a woman with handbags! I am active in many outdoor activities including fell running, so have bags of material like a carrier bag. I have bought the Sabre to use as a workhorse! My pride and joy for mountaineering is my Lowe Alpine mountain attack, which sadly they no longer make.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE