Rollmat question!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

On a 'silvered' roll mat, should you use it.....

• Total voters
Aug 19, 2013
Pembrokeshire
Moonbags? I still have two. Bought them for £20 each in 1987. They contain Millium - silvery foil thread, I believe, although I've never seen it - to reflect the heat. Not very insulating, but fine if you keep loads of chocolate next to your sleeping bag. I still use mine. They do pack small. The polyester outers are starting to tear and disintegrate to reveal hollowfibre insulation, but if I'm careful I might get another few years...

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd say silver side up. You want the barrier to reflect the heat back as close to the body as possible.

I'd say silver side up to reflect body heat, rather that silver side down. Things get colder due to loss of heat rather than absorbing cold.

Probably something to do with the second law of thermodynamics.

Anyone remember Moon Bags? A thin sleeping bag with a layer of aluminium foil sewn in. They were rubbish but packed small. :)

Stu

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
silver side up to reflect heat to you .dont think yuo can reflect cold

Heat and cold are in essence the same thing, ie , temperature, and both radiate but in using a foil to deflect radiation you have to also avoid conduction through contact which is why an insulation layer is also required.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE