Respect...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey it seems most people on here have had a few years under their belt to learn these practices (shall not specify how many years!) so when you think about it you really have an advantage there, which you can use to educate other. Being a young runt myself the truth is that its not easy to learn 'leave no trace' ethics overnight and its taken a few years already to acclimatise to living outdoors and honing knowledge (preferably passed down). Now im in the sway of learning i find myself going out at night to see how lightly i can tread and what wildlife can be seen without noisy fellows!

all it takes is patience and a little bit of advice from some of you who in most cases DO know best ;)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
This happened a few weeks ago:

Me to man leaving shop: "Excuse me you've dropped something!"
Man: "It's alright it's just rubbish."
Me: "Aren't you going to pick it up?"
Man: "No"
Me: "That means someone else is going to have to clear up after you" ( I had just been talking to the little old lady who struggles with her arthritic back who does pick up the litter there).
Man: "Yep! It sure does!"

I was stunned. I was about to ask how he could get on in life with the need for a nanny to pick up after him like a toddler, but he got into a sleek new Audi and drove off. I wondered what kind of job would pay you well for letting others clean up your mess. Then it struck me - banker!

:mad:

No Xunil, you're not wrong. IMHO "leave no trace" should be the first and foremost mantra of every activity (whether in the wilderness or not). If not, then soon every last bit of wilderness will be strewn with beer cans and plastic. The second should be to "tread softly"; make the least impression while you are there. (Is it really necessary to saw logs for a shelter when lighter sticks would do?)

I have noticed of late that in the Out & About posts there is seldom a photograph showing the campsite after it has been cleaned up. Surely this would be a matter of pride in a central skill of bushcraft.

If you find somewhere perfect, don't tell anyone!

Rant over.

Z

I never ( or very rarely ) post a pic of the site after cleaned as I take it for granted that people clean up after themselves. It doesn't mean I leave a mess. I hate litter and often clean up after others who illegally used my campsite . D

connorav

Apr 10, 2011
Merseyside
I live in Merseyside where you can confuse litter with people
I'de say complain to the rangers as many seem to be lacking on the litter picking, I know they don't cause it but because its a tedious task they seem to skip it to an extent and if people see rubbish they tend to think its ok to drop more
Glad others are picking up rubbish though good on you all!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its poor campcraft really plus the general disrespect shown by folks these days when camping. This is one reason I'll never camp within earshot of others unless I know them well.

Bush Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2009
New Forest
Have to say I don't really agree with the sentiment here - aside from the litter and footprint.

Everyone wants something different from a trip out. Me - I like the peacefull approach you are describing but that's not a great suprise given I read this board!

Others want a noisy woodland camping experience with friends and a big fire.

They are not wrong for wanting something different we all just have to choose our comany carefully.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Talking of litter which has nothing to do with bushcraft,

There's a residents trust near me that does stuff for the local community including litter picks around the area etc, they get the youngsters in the area to do two days of supervised litter picks with the adults and in return get to go on an outing for the day (this is free for those who did the litter pick), i think this might teach the young ones that its no big thing to take litter home with you rather than drop it on the floor for someone else to sort out. This happens on a regular basis in my area and i think it a great thing they are doing.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
I am usually optimistic about most things...but (and this is where I instantly become my dad) I'm afraid to say that with the attitude of a lot of children today, things like respect for the countryside are going to be a long time coming.
How can we hope for this when there appears to be a growing lack of respect for other human beings..I'm pretty damn sure that the countryside is going to be lagging way behind in the pecking order.

I speak from experience in that my wife is a Primary School teacher, and I have run a church youth group for the last few years, plus my own children are only 14, 12 and 9.

I use the children as an example because they are the next generation that will walk our fields and forests.

Of course there are loads of kids that are kept on the riight track...but there are loads that aren't

Alas the golden era of the Famous Five and Secret Seven is long gone

Sadly...

Sack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE