Reindeer fur/cloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Guys,
Today I learned some stuff about how to take care of your Reindeer fur or cloth.
My neigbours mother a old sami woman made me some Reindeer boots.
And she gave me some cool advice how to take care for them.

In summer time you have to put your reindeer fur or pelt, whatever you have in the freezer. If they get wet dont force dry them over a heater keep them cool and let the fur / cloth / boots warm up slowly. Never keep your reindeer fur in a plastic bag. The reindeerfur has to be kept in a paperback even when you put it in the freezer over the summertime dont put it in a plastic bag. The danger with reindeer fur is that it dries out easily so dont keep it laying in the sun drying out.

If you have a place in the house which is quite cool and dry that is a good place to keep your fur and fur cloth.

I know some of you got some reindeer furs and would like to know how you get some good years out of them, hope it helps you guys.

cheers
Abbe

Reactions: Razorstrop

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
stovie said:
Excuse my ignorance, Abbe, but if it's cured, why do you need to put it in the freezer?

Thanks

To be honest I am not sure hundered percent, I only forward the info from the old sami lady. Sitting with her I was nodding my head in respect and didnt question her, I only said: Ahh ok, I will do that. And then she said, dont put it ever in a plastic bag use only paper bags. And me again: Good to know, that I will do.
I believe it has to do with the fact that the reindeer fur shall not dry out as the hair is very briddle and breaks easily. So my guess is that it has to do with that.

1. In Summer have the fur or your fur cloth in a freezer
2. If you dont get it in a freezer have it in a cool but dry place
3. Never use a plastic bag to store your furs
4. If you get your fur or fur cloth moist or wet, dry them slowly dont force warm them near to a fireplace or heating system.

What is nice with the boots is that all snow is falling of from them and you dont carry snow into the shelter. They are very light and the warmest you can get your hand on. They are easy to store and carry a second set with you. I am all very happy about them. Later I will put up some pictures.

cheers
Abbe

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Cheers Abbe -that's a great tip. I can see how it makes sense too - I bet the traditional users used Reindeer fur in freezing wet conditions most of the time so they got constantly treated like this...

:You_Rock_

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Ok, here I managed to take a picture from my sami boots.
Now I only have to make myself two filt boots which I put into the sami fur boots.
When I am done with the filt boots I will put some pictures for you up here too.

sami_boots.jpg

cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE