Reindeer-antler for the bow-drill block!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I recently finished a knife with parts of Reindeer antler in the handle, I was surprised about the toughness and density of this material. So I got an idea.

I did a little experimentation and found out that a small piece of reindeer antler is a perfect block for the bow drill set. I got no smoke in the block and there was very little wear. The resistance was also less than with wooden blocks. I could not escape the impression that our ancesters must have gotten the same idea.

This will end my search for the perfect bow drill block for a while :) If you manage to find a piece that fills the palm nicely you could dill a hole in it wear it around the neck. Recommended.

-Emile

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
No argument from me eraaij! Couldn't agree more. :cool:

antlerblocks1b.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well, I agree with you totally that they sure work great. I string mine with my favorite bowdrill cordage, a hunting bootlace. They are tough as can be and don't fray very easily. I know they aren't "natural" but I still like 'em. :D There are cheaper ones out there that look the same but don't hold up nearly as well. I usually get mine from a Redwing Shoe store. :)

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I put myself off the idea of trying this some while ago as I thought it would stink to the heavens once the drill started to heat it up. Is reindeer antler harder/denser than antlers from British native or resident deer ? Only asking because I like the look of Hoodoos blocks but have no ready access to reindeer antler. I can get hold of fallow and roe pretty easily if I want some though.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
From what I have seen, Reindeer seems to be quite dense in comparison to Red Deer. I have some Moose parts here on the workbench that are comparable in desity to the Reindeer.

Since my pile of antlers is slowly growing, I still need to de some further experimentation with this material. Thanks for bringing it up again.

-Emile

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
Hoodoo said:
No argument from me eraaij! Couldn't agree more. :cool:

antlerblocks1b.jpg

I like the look of the hand drills. is there a drawing of size and shape that is a good point to start from. Im am working blind sort of thing. anyone live near brighton want to give a demonstration ?

David

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
david1 said:
I like the look of the hand drills. is there a drawing of size and shape that is a good point to start from. Im am working blind sort of thing. anyone live near brighton want to give a demonstration ?

David

Hi David1. There is so much info on this forum about hand drills, bow drills and so on. I would suggest that if you simply type "hand drill" into the search function you should find all the info you need and then some :)

Welcome to BCUK btw.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Just to get you started David1 here's a tutorial from PatrickM (Bushcraft school instructor and BCUK member)

Hand Drill tutorial

I believe Rich59 makes kits too. PM him if you want to practice with a set that's guaranteed to work ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE