Reducing Size of Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Hi there.

At the recommendations of many, i have purchased a Swedish Army Snow Smock to tinker with!! :D

First job:

It's much too big for me around the core (i realise these are made big, but...not this big), so i need to reduce the volume of the smock.

I was thinking about going round all the tailors in Sheff and asking them if they'd do it, reckon they would but I've no idea how much it would cost...?

I'd also ask 'em, while they were at it, to add gussets to the arms and a zip around to hood (to attach fur when necessary)

Anyone reckon they could guess how much that would cost? Or, even better, give me a cheaper way to do it :D :D

Many thanks,
Ed

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Humpf.... and there was me thinking that the one I tried on in Endy's a while ago was somewhat....... snug!

Ed - surely the idea of getting one for you to tinker with means that you should be doing the modifications!

C'mon its not that difficult to do!

ATB

Ogri the trog

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Humpf.... and there was me thinking that the one I tried on in Endy's a while ago was somewhat....... snug!

Ed - surely the idea of getting one for you to tinker with means that you should be doing the modifications!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Haha very true!!!

I don't have a sewing machine though; so unless theres some cool way to do it quickly doing it myself would take ages and lots of skin...

I'm open to suggestions tho

:D

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor

ATB

Ogri the trog

I have a large Swedish snow smock in navy blue if you want it O the T!?
No charge, 50+ chest, good nick.
My best .
Chris.
P.s. Hey Bushed! What up?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have a large Swedish snow smock in navy blue if you want it O the T!?
No charge, 50+ chest, good nick.
My best .
Chris.
P.s. Hey Bushed! What up?

Thanks for the offer Chris, but I can go a 54" without breathing in :D
The ventile one that I call my project smock is 33 inches armpit to armpit and is just comfy with a layer or two under it.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
yeah you're right that does seem hard to type...

Just strikes me as funny, a manly sewing circle:). No offense meant. I got a couple of these old Canadian bush shirts to tinker with, and they have pleats down the back.
canadianbushshirtback.jpg

This one had an additional pleat put in by hand, which I let out for a better fit. Sorry for the crumby pics.
canadianbushshirtpleat.jpg

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I kind of can't believe I am writing this....Pleats.

thats exactly what i did to mine, will get it from the car and post a pic later if people want, i just basically made 2 big overlapping pleats from the hem up to the drawstring waist bit on either side at the seams on the sides.

pleasts are good as i didnt have to cut the material and when i bend over etc it can expand so doesnt stress the seams i made. i then find that when i wear mine the bottom bit is more of a tailored fit, i draw the drawstring waist tight and then above the waist its a looser fit which i prefer.

it was how i got round the whole 'bushcraft skirt' thing with it lol, i also always wear it with the crotch strap done up as that snugs it in more aswell and stops it flapping around

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Just strikes me as funny, a manly sewing circle:). No offense meant. I got a couple of these old Canadian bush shirts to tinker with, and they have pleats down the back.
canadianbushshirtback.jpg

This one had an additional pleat put in by hand, which I let out for a better fit. Sorry for the crumby pics.
canadianbushshirtpleat.jpg

ah man sorry, i interpreted you wrong. Thanks for the pics :D I may well give this a try!!!

@woof excellent idea!!!

@MrEd if its not too much trouble i'd love to see some more pics cheers

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
ok here we go

they are like tucks more than pleats as they are only at the bottom but this is what i did

I folded in part of the hem bit on each side to make it a bit smaller, i lost about 8 inches total from the size of the bottom bit
smock1.jpg

this is it from the inside
smock2.jpg

and the whole thing
smock.jpg

i find its more of a tailored fit in the waist/bum area but the top is a bit looser (thats the way i like it) but there is no reason why you couldnt continue the tuck up higher although you would have to redo the drawstring waist bit

does that make sense?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE