Red, UK question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
BTW was a long time back in airgun mag (15-20yrs back) was an artical of a class of gun (factory made ) that used 22 propelling blanks and separate bullets as a legal way to use a gun for small game think it was a Central or southern americancountry

Did you mean:
a) southern American "state?" or
b) South American "country?"

The first (southern America) is a region in the US that has "states" whereas the second is a continent that has "countries." LOL

yes sorry South Not Southern

wouldn't of thought any state in the USA would have made .22LR illegal 20yrs ago (maybe California now :cool: )

BTW was a long time back in airgunb mag (15-20yrs back) was an artical of a class of gun (factory made ) that used 22 propelling blanks and seperate bullets as a legal way to use a gun for small game think it was a central or southern american country

I assume if they are licesable, then they are legal. Are they popular? If so, what are the popular conversions?

not really they are difficult to get and not exactly very accurate you also need good reason for each licensable item and your best to get a Fire arm in the calibre than short bit of tube that may hit something

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ditch the powder burners and get a bow :)

My thoughts exactly.

Simple, affordable and deadly/fun!

And if a 'survival gun' is what people are after youd be hard pressed to find better than shotgun. .410, 12bore etc ina single shot light weight shotgun would be sufficient to feed oneself in an imaginary cabin/fort/hole in the ground!

Tampering with blanks not only seems like a risky idea for your safety but legally also..

And don't rule out a good slingshot/slingbow! You can take out an Ebola infected super zombie with a slingbow!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Why would I do that when I can't hunt with a bow?

Because its a fantasy scenario where you ignore the law and make zip guns! And you can hunt with a bow, just not legally outside of dream land.

And that picture of the bow accident is vile Lol! Clearly not very experienced shooter their. (I'll refrain from directing anyone to accidentally inflicted gunshot wounds..)

Can't manage a bow? Get a crossbow like a bowwssss!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
As a builder I've never even seen one of those Ramset .22 things on a site but have used countless Hilti nail guns.
Hilti caps in order of power, low to high...
Green.
Yellow.
Red (will get the point of a nail through 10mm of steel girder)
Black (never needed black yet).

There's settings to alter the power on the gun also so a high setting on the yellow caps is likely higher than the low setting on the reds, seems to be anyway.
Given the choice I like the Hilti DX460 best as its got collated nails as well as caps on the strip. Semi automatic so there's less faffing about loading the nails.

Think it was one of those that they used to initially break the bulletproof glass in the millennium diamond robbery attempt before battering it with sledgehammers.

Might as well add that making a gun sounds like a right old faff to me. I use those Hilti nail guns at work (sometimes) and in the right situation they are a great tool for firing hardened steel Hilti nails into girders but making zipguns sounds like a great way to get a stretch in gaol.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
When did this become a fantasy scenario? As far as I can tell there are no fantasy posts until yours? The OP is not in this country and enquired as to legality and availability.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I assume if they are licesable, then they are legal. Are they popular? If so, what are the popular conversions?

Not popular at all to be honest. There are a few rifles around with switchable barrels etc. But they really don't catch on much.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mine suggested a 410 adapter for a 12 bore would be okay on a ticket but would be an "on ticket" item. That was his opinion though!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'm still amazed by the .22lr shortage....cci claim to produce 4 million rounds a day, 4 million a day!
Its hard to believe that they can't keep up with demand

And what's with the department of homeland security buying up all that ammo?......seems about as extreme as the .22 blank/pellet gun idea :confused:

I believe only rifled chamber adaptors are licencesable and not smoothbore as its a question I asked my local RFD recently but I'll stand corrected :)

yes but under 24" to 12" min barrel is section 1 FAC even on a single or double barrel shotgun this why a lot of old number 9 garden guns are sect 1 as they have short barrels

very short smooth bore is only allowed for Signalling guns ie Flare

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Well, the reason I asked about it was due to a conversation involving how a number of people, myself included, on this side of the pond have been experimenting with using those blanks and .22 caliber airgun pellets as a substitute for .22LR rimfire ammo. This is both as a survival issue and it has also been prompted by the recent, serious shortage of .22LR ammo over here.

There you go.

Needing/resorting to loading airgun pellets onto a blank cartridge to 'survive' is fantasy. I know the original question was if its legal here etc etc but it stemmed from unrealistic needs.

Shortage of one calibre, use another. Don't inspire idiots to make zip guns/ammo!

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
yes but under 24" to 12" min barrel is section 1 FAC even on a single or double barrel shotgun this why a lot of old number 9 garden guns are sect 1 as they have short barrels

very short smooth bore is only allowed for Signalling guns ie Flare

Ah...good point but the adaptor sits within the original barrel so which would determine the barrel length?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There you go.

Needing/resorting to loading airgun pellets onto a blank cartridge to 'survive' is fantasy. I know the original question was if its legal here etc etc but it stemmed from unrealistic needs.

Shortage of one calibre, use another. Don't inspire idiots to make zip guns/ammo!

The "survival" principle inferred is small game capabilities (squirrel and rabbit) In that scenario it's not exactly fantasy as it's a realistic possibility. Granted, it's an overly complicated solution and in all honesty, my personal preference for such (assuming a real 22 isn't available) would be a small bore shotgun as you suggested or even a good air rifle.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....And if a 'survival gun' is what people are after youd be hard pressed to find better than shotgun. .410, 12bore etc ina single shot light weight shotgun would be sufficient to feed oneself in an imaginary cabin/fort/hole in the ground!....

That would be my first choice TBH. They certainly fed many people through the very real "survival situation" that was the Great depression. However the humble 22 fed even more due to two reasons:
1) The ammo was cheaper (then) and
2) It was quieter

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Where on earth did zip guns (which are improvised firearms made out of plumbing) come into this discussion?

Since when were zip guns soley made from pluming materials, mate? I think you'll find they can and are made from all sorts of scrap, if you did some research!

And they came in to this discussion when improvised live ammunition came in to this. You can't really have one without the other over here. And both are likely to get you keeping your back to the wall at our majesty's pleasure!

And we all know it doesn't take much to inspire a moron to make something dangerous, and with that in mind now the answers to this thread have been made maybe its time to alter any information that is unhealthy to an influential child/adult.

I don't want to be Mr.PC and call danger to anything improvisional but I've seen my share of idoiocy and recklessnes lately and I'd hate to think anything posted here could be used in such a way, as I know youngsters do read and post here. (Doesn't take much to order the bits required to make a zip gun either!)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
And they came in to this discussion when improvised live ammunition came in to this. You can't really have one without the other over here. And both are likely to get you keeping your back to the wall at our majesty's pleasure!

Of course you can - and you keep saying "over here". The OP wasn't specifically talking about "over here", nor was he referring to zip guns and he was specifically trying not to break the law.

If you think the thread is dangerous to young people, do report it :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE