Red Admiral

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I saw a Red Amiral today,is this a little late for it to be flying around?
redadmiral.jpg
[/IMG]

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm in central Scotland and they were flying in my garden yesterday too. I had to catch the cat and stop her trying to hunt them :rolleyes: We've also still got *huge* ghost moths in the garden at night :eek: It is very mild though. :confused:

Cheers,
Toddy

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Nice photo Wolf

'LeVulcain' as it is called in France, can sometimes be seen during Winter in the Midi region on milder days.

They lay their eggs on nettles and it is another good reason to leave a patch of nettles in the garden ;)

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
wolf said:
I saw a Red Amiral today,is this a little late for it to be flying around?
I was quite gobsmacked to see one on Christmas eve last year, near Wendover, Bucks - nearly smeared it with the car windscreen too. Of course, it was very mild last winter, but they always used to be gone from around here by mid-Autumn.

leon-1

Yep, there are a lot of things that are flying and flowering and shouldn't really be. I saw a reasonably sized hornet this weekend on Dartmoor.

There is an apple tree on route to the job center and a pear tree up the road from me that have fruit on them. We have roses flowering in my next door neighbours garden and I have a number of Canna (sp) plants (supposedly native of Africa) in my garden that are still flowering now.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
leon-1 said:
Tom they had said that about last year as well, the problem is more that the cold snaps that we are getting are somewhat out of sequence with normal seasonal change

Britian have some of the longes meterologcal records in the world so we are able to predict evens such as this better than most(though still not with 100% accuracy), there are certain paterns and sequences of currents in the north atlantic that have been persent in at all of britians VERY cold winters over the last 200 years or so and it seems they are around again now, the last one took 8 or nine years for many species insects and birds and mamals to recover.. if not this year then maybe next i dont know enough on the topic.

leon-1

tomtom said:
Britian have some of the longes meterologcal records in the world so we are able to predict evens such as this better than most(though still not with 100% accuracy), there are certain paterns and sequences of currents in the north atlantic that have been persent in at all of britians VERY cold winters over the last 200 years or so and it seems they are around again now, the last one took 8 or nine years for many species insects and birds and mamals to recover.. if not this year then maybe next i dont know enough on the topic.

Yes, I know what you are talking about, one of the reasons for last years predictions was that the Gulf stream had shifted slightly and the last time that it did this the Thames froze, so I know where you are coming from.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE