Recommend me a gas stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I run a few stoves including, at the very simple end, a Crusader burning hexi and chafing gel. I have a MSR Dragonfly multifuel stove which is great and an MSR Windpro II gas canister stove. I also have one of the very tiny Alpkit stoves that just screws on top of a gas canister and is probably made by Firemaple.

The Alpkit one gave me a little trouble, I think it was a "known fault" with them and whoever copied them made a little design error and as a result sometimes they didn't work. It was great, and very light, but it wasn't so very stable on top of the gas canister plus the reliability thing eventually put an end to it getting regular use.

I really like MSR stoves. They seem like a lot of money for what they are, indeed they ARE a lot of money for what they are, but on the other hand mine have always worked and have performed as intended and as expected for me. The multifuel stove complete with fuel is somewhat heavier than the Windpro plus a small gas canister and the Windpro plus gas will fit in my cooking pot with room for my tea and so on. So I really like the Windpro. However, even in relatively moderate conditions I've found that the Windpro takes a bigger hit than the Dragonfly and temperatures less than about 5 degrees seem to have a negative impact upon it. In part latent heat of vaporization is at the root of the problem and the laws of physics seem to always be looking my direction. I've had it working in cold conditions but it is a lot slower, and this is with MSR or Jetboil canisters which have a good gas mix for colder weather. Add in a bit of wind and it takes even more of a hit. I'm not saying that the gas doesn't work below +5 degrees, but I'm saying that as I have a choice I tend to opt for the Dragonfly burning Coleman gas below that temperature.

The Windpro will burn "liquid gas" if you turn the canister upside down as it has a pre-heat tube and I expected this to solve all my problems but my experience with it is that it doesn't really offer a huge improvement.

If your needs really are for it to work at low temperatures then I would probably tend to move away from the idea of a gas canister stove, they are great and I love mine but you will not get the performance you might expect. However with something like the Dragonfly you will take a hit in weight plus you have to prime it and so on, not a big deal but another step first thing in the morning, but it would still be the way I'd go in colder weather.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Always in my bag is an MSR Micro rocket and canister in case of the inevitable damp tinder in the morning scenario...never let me down yet!

Thanks,
Allan

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Arya, that looks delicious! What canned meat is that?
Sorry, I didn't see this post until now.

You must be the first one to think that it looks delicious! It actually tastes good, even though my cook-father would gag in pure reflex by the sight of it.
It is a mixture of peas, potatoes, salt pork meat and pork fat (flesk) or bacon.
It is breakfast for champions, and will have you walking og working for hours.
I might not recommend it to people that want to loose a lot weight before bikini season, but for workers it is very good.

This one is from a can (Trondheims erter, kjøtt og flesk), but we added the potatoes from the dinner the night before.

There are many recipes if you want to make it yourself, like f.ex this one:

http://www.matprat.no/oppskrifter/tradisjon/erter-kjott-og-flesk/

It looks better of course, when you don't have to prepare it all in just one pot 😁

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Well, in a way yes 😊
Snurring has just made a trip to the blender. But the ingredients are quite similar. And Snurring also has more salt, in my opinion.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
+1 for the MSR dragonfly and whisperlite

I've got 3 here if you want to check them out before buying Leshy
Probably will actually John, thanks for that. 👍

I still haven't pulled the trigger as I got too many expenses at the moment, means I'll have to stick to the trangia and honey stove for now ...

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I've got one of those, which was a Karrimor version from about 2 years ago.

Good bit of kit, especially for the price, but there is a discussion about it spluttering at low temps https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/72072/ , perhaps because the preheat tube isn't quite large enough. To be fair, I've never had a problem with it, and is great value for money. Just check that the canisters you have fit it properly - the threads on at least one Fire Maple stove were just a little bit short for some canisters, but that one's been fine on all the ones I use.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
MSR Whisperlite is a fabulous winter stove Butcosts a fortune.I have an MSR XGK which could melt the polar ice cap and is great if you are cooking / brewing for a large party and need to melt snow. It also costs a fortune - I got mine free from a friend who was giving up high altitude expeditions and needed to clear space. For solo use, I have a SVEA 123,which I found in a thrift store for $10. But it weighs about 1 lb (484 grams), which is a lot. I really prefer, for solo use, an alcohol stove which uses a wick, rather than relying on low pressure alcohol vapour, such as a Trangia or most soda can stoves. IMO, the best, most reliable, wicked alcohol stove is the Fancy Feest, developed by the stove Zen master, Zelph. Colorado Camper tested it at -20 C with both burner and alcohol left out in -20 for a few hours before lighting. There are many you tube videos on this stove. I also (made) and use a variation on the super cat stove, using a tuna can,punching just a couple of holes to thread the wick , which wraps around the outside of the can, into the interior, which is where you pour the alcohol. It'sa little wider, and lower than the Fancy Feest, so is, IMMO, a more stable pot stand. No wait to "bloom", just pour in the alcohol, place pot on th stove, light the wick. No problem. Works every time, no moving parts to break / wear out. Costs nothing to make. I just weighed my wicked super cat. It is 8 grams. In really cold weather, it is, IMO superior to any canister stove, and wonlt break the bank.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE