Ray Mears' Wild Food (on television)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Has anyone thought about resurrecting the campaign to write to the BBC
asking them to release earlier series on DVD? Wouldn't want to suggest
anything that's not appropriate but I understand the viewing figures have
been pretty good and were I to write a letter I'd probably mention that fact.

However, I think Tony might have had a long-term plan brewing quietly in
the background for BcUK to coordinate a campaign so I wouldn't encourage
anyone to send letters just yet. I just wanted to bring up the issue again :)

Apparently UKTV History have pencilled in some more RM shows from
June this year including Heroes of Telemark. I emailed them suggesting
that they might want to plonk a bit of Tracks / World of Survival on the
Freeview channel where I can watch them.

There are a handful of PDFs of papers co-authored by Gordon at this website
which belongs to the guy (Mark Nesbitt) who gave one of the Kew lectures
last week. Pretty sure that he (Mark) said that he (Gordon) had made the
mortar shown in the programmes himself.
http://www.ancientgrains.org/html/mark_s_papers.html

I wonder if the BBC got any complaints about the deer...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Jodie said:
I wonder if the BBC got any complaints about the deer...

Why? What did it say that was offensive....

BTW, did any of you archer bods pick up on the fact that his "Holmgaard" was more Meare Heath (without the wrappings) than Holmgaard....Traditionally, the holmie narrows down in the last third of the limb in width, but remains quite thick in depth...a small point, and perhaps a little pedantic, but hey... ;)

Good programme tho'...and I want to go camping with the gurkhas

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
pibbleb said:
Grooveski, no worries to be honest I had no idea it would be such an emotive subject. I'm not a great bug lover and until recently would run from any room or forest screaming like an adolescent girl if I came across anything with more than four legs! :eek: Heeled, if you will by a Hissing cockroach believe it or not!

I was also surprised by the legislation, through my own naivety, but then hay it would appear that I've spent move of my time in the woods mindlessly wondering past these nests without realising! :lol:

It does seem somewhat crazy that a show has shown such destruction, twice now, without mentioning the legalities in this country. :confused:

It's good to talk and thanks for your comments.

P

Could be I'm being over-sensitive(it has been known :rolleyes: ) and I may even have read the wrong list in which case happy nibblefest.

Came across a big black ant colony moving house one day at the top of a crag in Borrowdale. They were carrying the larvae across cracks in the rock on ant bridges(hundreds of ants per crack, dozens of cracks). Amazing sight :).

When I've come across nests I've never had the urge to break into them.
If it turned out to be legal that wouldn't change.
At a base level it's intrusive enough to break the new access laws up here anyway.

I'm gonna huckle out of here now, this not being an ant thread and all. I feel loony status creeping in ;) .

Josh

Reactions: Toddy

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Notwithstanding the problem of keeping track with all comments being made about Ray’s latest programme; not all threads are such a giveaway as “Tartlet Cases”, I ask that you please accept my apologies if I’m either covering well-trodden ground or simply a little late in observing the following:

What an enjoyable episode it was! Even my wife started watching once Ray dispensed with any further interest with ants eggs and chomping on more embers than grossly undercooked liver! Full marks then to RM for realising we now needed a little entertainment born of the demonstrable benefits of a well-appointed camp. And if that meant sourcing ready-made and rolled pastry from Waitrose so be it. Mind you SWMBO nearly swung for me when observing that his beautifully blind backed tart cases were how they should be all the time from her 2K plus fan-assisted oven! Then came the call to “hand over all credit cards” as I observed how I’d “always wanted one or two cooking pots like that” and especially the “tripod and chain support thingy”.

On a more serious note I was delighted to hear Ray refer to his hunting of deer with a rifle and I really do not care whether he shot a deer or not when taking aim on camera, as for me it was simply important there was little if any apology for such, as has been the case in the past. That a rifle and not a bow was used due to UK law made me think that, had he not blown a very large proportion of the programme budget on the trip to Oz, he might have taken us through a LEGAL bow hunt in the US? This would certainly have appealed to those concerned for continuity although upon reflection you have to ask if we’d get to see the arrow strike home – an all-important aspect I suggest but inevitably simply too much of a risk for the BBC to broadcast.

Lastly, you’ve just got to admire RM’s management skills as in delegating the more demanding camp chores to a team of willing and less than camera-shy soldiers. Well, someone had to carry those bl—dy heavy pots from the Landrover I guess!

Cheers

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
I wish we got this show in the US. I'd love to see it. I've seen a few of his other episodes of shows on DVD. Instead of something like this I turn on the TV and Get "American Idol" :(

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
With any luck, Gordon will finish growing his beard in the next episode and Ray will tell us all about gathering nuts whilst wearing his short shorts. One for the ladies...

Hee-hee! :D

:twak:

On a more serious note, despite my comments about the first episode, I have started to really enjoy the series. Alas, in the words of Nelly Furtado, 'Why Must All Good Things come To An End?' - only 5 episodes? Pah. :confused:

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I cannot believe it I missed this weeks programe and it turns out to be the best one so far,to make matters worse the beeb in their infinate wisdom deside not to show it again on Saturday evening! Well done beeb! :eek:

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I believe its repeated monday night this week. Yup just checked...
Monday, 29 Jan 2007
11:25 PM - 0:25 AM (1 Hour )

so that repeat on sun for first episode
repeat on sat for second
repeat on mon for third
any guesses when this weeks will be repeated?

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I'm hoping it will transfer immediately to UKTV History and be replayed on a
rainy Sunday afternoon for five hours.

Shame it's on so late tonight though, I think I'll have to miss it.

I've not seen a single BBC advert for it since the programme started - and
plenty for 'The Truth about food', and the repeats are all over the place... it
is a bit baffling.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I've not seen a single BBC advert for it since the programme started - and
plenty for 'The Truth about food', and the repeats are all over the place... it
is a bit baffling.

Stupid is what it is, all thar promo work, all the Teasers, then it just dropped off..

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
The BBC are having a lovely time hiding these episodes
in the listings and probably having a jolly good chuckle
imagining people digging them out. :)

If you stay up so late tonight that it's tomorrow then
Wetland is on again at 3am on BBC1 34783.

The final episode is on tomorrow at 8pm, BBC2, 4035
(Woodland) but I'm out for dinner so will miss it...

... but it's repeated on Sunday 4th Feb at 7pm, BBC2 [6487].

Summer Harvest (episode 4) is back on Wed 7th morning at
2.40am (I mean really, that's Tuesday night in my book)
on BBC1 [1848939]

There's an unspecified episode being shown on Saturday
10 Feb at 7pm, BBC2 [8671] - it might even be the first
one.
This listing has been removed from Radiotimes.com.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
mrstorey said:
Does anyone know the name for that gathering tool they were using last night to collect soft berries?

Even better, know where I can get one?

Cheers,

If no-ones mentioned it yet.............they're selling them on RM's site http://www.raymears.com/ under online shop accessories - berry picker...........looks a bit plasticky for me, and I'd like to have a go at making my own sometime, mind you for just over a tenner :dunno: what the hell :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE