Ray Mears' Wild Food (on television)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
After just watching it looks to be a really good series ahead. Have to say my favorite part is that snail shell grater. Ingenious or what?????

There's nothing quite like an Abo to make you feel inadequate no matter what you think you know, gotta love them. :)

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
Although I'm sure it wasn't your intention probably best to point out that "Abo" is usually considered to be an offensive term for Aboriginal people.

B

bushyboo

just finished watching it too if the first one is anything to go by the rest should be good
the snail shell was my favorite bit too also the bit about diging up yams and knowing when to give up

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
What a programme, I can see this being a good series, I can also see a national shortage of snail shells. :)

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
If I've understood correctly the remaining programmes are set in UK. I suppose he needs an international audience to make dvd sales worthwhile.
If the rest are set in UK they'd make a good series together with the UK extracts from other series; like the programme where he caught the flounders in the Thames estuary. I'll get my boy to knock me up a composite dvd. Can't see me going to Oz and digging up grubs or yams.
:0)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I caught the last half of it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe I'll get to see the repeat on Sunday.

Can't wait to see the bit in Britain. As much as I find it fascinating to watch them foraging for food in the Australian outback I don't think I'll be doing it myself any time soon so it will be good to see something I can have a go at myself.

Those were cool hats the white guys were wearing, where can I get one? :D I know they probably cost 150 quid and only the coolest bushcrafters are allowed to wear one. :rolleyes:

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I'll bring this up before anyone else does, but did anyone else notice that Ray was using a rather old and battered looking 'nessmuk' style skinning knife rather than his own?

And that he struck his firesteel with the blade....?

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Rebel said:
Those were cool hats the white guys were wearing, where can I get one? :D I know they probably cost 150 quid and only the coolest bushcrafters are allowed to wear one. :rolleyes:
Pretty sure it was an Akubra.See http://www.akubra.com.au/. I've had one for years, still going strong, not so expensive in Australia anyway. Les Hiddins, the Bush Tucker Man, gets the prize for the best hat, see http://veteransanctuary.tripod.com/leshiddins.htm :D

I liked the hat, not sure about the shorts mind you ;)

Thoroughly enjoyed the programme, looking forward to the others!

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
dommyracer said:
I'll bring this up before anyone else does, but did anyone else notice that Ray was using a rather old and battered looking 'nessmuk' style skinning knife rather than his own?
And that he struck his firesteel with the blade....?
Yes, now you mention it, I did notice that as well. The continuity was a bit odd because he was using the usual Woodlore knife in other shots. My guess is that he wanted to get MAX spark onto the paper bark for effect and not ruin his own knife edge?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not wishing to sound funny here but I found it a bit light on content.

Although the bit when he actually got talking about how to identify and cook the stuff was good, I can't say I was blown away by the "filler" material and spiritual stuff.
It did crease me up when, after saying how well the aborigines were in tune with the land and essentially good people, he went out into the bush with the old bloke who wanted to show him how to make a boomerang.

What was the boomerang he made used for?
A weapon against people :lmao:
Yep, living in harmony with the land and not fighting over it at all ;)

With a bit of luck it will pick up next week and have a bit more wild food content though.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
dommyracer said:
I'll bring this up before anyone else does, but did anyone else notice that Ray was using a rather old and battered looking 'nessmuk' style skinning knife rather than his own?QUOTE)

Perhaps he sold his last one on e-bay! :lmao:

Either that or just trying to avoid the hassle of airport customs leading to the tabloid headline: “Backwoods Guru Held On Knife & SHORTS Charge!" :lmao:

Sorry :buttkick:

Cheers!

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
did i also see him scrape his firesteel with the sharp edge instead of the backside of that blade?

wasnt realy concentrated when he did that and cant check because i didnt tape it

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
"CELEBRITY Big Brother lost nearly two-million viewers last night as
viewers switched over to a new Ray Mears show on BBC2 instead."

and

"On BBC2, 3.7 million viewers tuned in to the debut of Ray Mears'
Wild Food."

Obviously I've edited selectively - as has the Sun - Big Bro still got
more (5.2m) viewers.

Source: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,11049-2007000662,00.html
NOTE: There is a potentially non work-safe picture accompanying this
text of some lass in a bikini in the hot tub. [I never thought I'd find myself
writing that sentence!]

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Yeah I've set the sky plus thingy for it.

Lime bark is going really well got some good lengths of cordage now, will look at starting with the willow soon, is it the same process with the willow?

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Excellent program I thought, very informative, a nice depth, thought provoking and it was good to see Ray in a more relaxed, not so scripted, slightly less cheasy light. I liked him more than I usually do because of it.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
It was nice to see Ray eat something that even he turned his nose up at, Gordon seemed not too bothered about the juice from the Sea-buckthorn berrie, the face Ray made after taking a sip of the juice is pretty close to the face I would make faced with the witchy grub raw or cooked.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE