Ray Mears' Wild Food (on television)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Jodie said:
I've not seen a single BBC advert for it since the programme started - and plenty for 'The Truth about food', and the repeats are all over the place... it is a bit baffling.

You're kidding me! There have been loads!

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Fair enough - I must be missing them. Having said that I am trying to watch
a teeny bit less telly this year and get out a bit more, so perhaps it's actually
working! :)

Before the series started I saw lots of adverts but it seemed as if things went
a bit quiet once the episodes began to be broadcast.

Radiotimes.com has removed from its listings the unspecified episode that
was (apparently) to have been shown on Saturday 10th Feb.

tanto

May 29, 2005
Sweden
I am really interested in the resin coating on the spears Ray uses when fishing. Anyone got any information on it?

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Did you see Harry Hill making fun of the show on sat night I think. I loved the wild foods series. However it was very funny.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
tanto said:
I am really interested in the resin coating on the spears Ray uses when fishing. Anyone got any information on it?

I seem to remember he said it was Birch Tar. However, someone else may have been watching more closely than me.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
CLEM said:
Damn it I missed it again :(
Oh no you've not.

It's on late at night next week and will be released on DVD in September.

Very very late next Tuesday night (technically Wednesday morning but I
wanted to get you in a Tuesday frame of mind so you didn't wake up on
Wednesday morning ready to set your video only to realise that you've
missed it - again!
) there's a signed version on at 2.10 am on BBC1.

Episode 5 - Woodland
Wednesday 14th February (but we all know it's late Tuesday 13th night)
2:10am - 3:10am
BBC1
VIDEO Plus+: 5771511

For anyone who's missed the previous episode, it's on later tonight / very
early tomorrow morning.

Episode 4 - Summer Harvest
Wednesday 7th February (ie, late tonight)
2:40am - 3:40am
BBC1
VIDEO Plus+: 1848939

Note that these repeats are on BBC1 not 2

This information brought to you by http://www.radiotimes.com :D

I also thought it was birch tar.

Reactions: loz.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Jodie said:
Oh no you've not.

It's on late at night next week and will be released on DVD in September.

Very very late next Tuesday night (technically Wednesday morning but I
wanted to get you in a Tuesday frame of mind so you didn't wake up on
Wednesday morning ready to set your video only to realise that you've
missed it - again!
) there's a signed version on at 2.10 am on BBC1.

Episode 5 - Woodland
Wednesday 14th February (but we all know it's late Tuesday 13th night)
2:10am - 3:10am
BBC1
VIDEO Plus+: 5771511

For anyone who's missed the previous episode, it's on later tonight / very
early tomorrow morning.

Episode 4 - Summer Harvest
Wednesday 7th February (ie, late tonight)
2:40am - 3:40am
BBC1
VIDEO Plus+: 1848939

Note that these repeats are on BBC1 not 2

This information brought to you by http://www.radiotimes.com :D

I also thought it was birch tar.
Thank you Jodie,most appreciated. :) :) :)

Roy's Badger

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2005
Kernow
hiroo onoda said:
I'm looking forward to gordon's first solo effort.

After checking my latest copy of 'What Beard?' monthly, I can confirm Gordon has been hired to replace Pete Waterman in the forthcoming Hollywood remake of 'The Hitman and Her'. Apparently the last episode, where he gets amongst the class A drugs and young female students like a tramp with a bag of chips, clinched the deal.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Have I gone mad or is there only a piffly 5 episodes to thi series?? I've just checked the tv ready for my dose or wild food tonight and it's not on???????????????????????? :eek:

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Roy's Badger said:
After checking my latest copy of 'What Beard?' monthly, I can confirm Gordon has been hired to replace Pete Waterman in the forthcoming Hollywood remake of 'The Hitman and Her'. Apparently the last episode, where he gets amongst the class A drugs and young female students like a tramp with a bag of chips, clinched the deal.

Well he's already gone through his hallucinogenic stage.

Speaking of which I nearly choked on my tea when Ray spoke of one of his most favorite past times, going hunting for mushrooms!

Scuba Pete said:
Did you see Harry Hill making fun of the show on sat night I think. I loved the wild foods series. However it was very funny.

I liked the bit where Harry was watching Ray saying you could eat Service berries, then it showed Harry munching on them then it cut back to Ray and he said "but make sure to spit out the pips as they contain Cyanide", finally it cut back to Harry and the look on his face had me in stitches and he said something along the lines of "thanks a lot!". :D

Gravo

Apr 5, 2006
Oslo, Norway
falling rain said:
Actually thinking about it people DO go spear-gun fishing in the UK so I'm starting to wonder about the whole thing. Do you need a licence to spear-gun fish in the sea in the UK :confused: I tried to find some info on the internet but couldn't find any definitive answers or clarity. I certainly always thought using a hand held spear was illegal, but I'm having doubts now. Anyone know the actual laws rgarding all this?

Salt-water spearfishing is legal around the coast of the UK. Pretty sure it's illegal on most if not all inland waterways. Perhaps Joethefish is the best person to ask...

As mentioned in a previous thread regarding the cruelty issue:

"In contrast with many other fishing techniques like nets or lines, spearfishing is an extremely selective sport. The diver sees the fish before attempting to catch it and can therefore avoid taking small or immature fish - (I am a keen fisherman with line and hook and have experienced immature fish dying during the process of retrieval). - Furthermore, spearfishermen generally take only one fish per school as opposed to commercial fishermen who often take the whole school… Other fishing techniques also often result in tons of "by catch" thrown back in the ocean … dead. (see www.defra.gov.uk/fish/conserv.htm on the "by catch" problem). Spearfishermen do no such a thing and actually strongly condemn such wastes. Done responsibly breath-hold spearfishing could be one of the most environmental friendly and ecologically sound ways to bring fish to the table. "
(from www.spearfishing.org.uk)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE