Ray Mears Fundamental Bushcraft course - some advice sought

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
(...)
Perhaps I simply need a reality check, but my gut feeling is that the critters are likely to be there, and certain activities, like messing around with lots of leaf litter, will leave you open a much higher chance of being bitten.

(...)

Leaf litter is quite acid (between 3-5 on the pH scale, depending on specific species of tree). This makes it moderately dangerous for most insects, so most insects avoid these environments. An improvised shelter constructed from leaf litter is, contrary to expectation, remarkably free from insects.

With sensible precautions the ticks can normally be avoided quite easily.

//Kim Horsevad

I hike in areas that have ticks. When I go off-trail, I make a habit of inspecting my clothing periodically, and at the end of the hike. This is sufficient to keep you safe.

I rarely find them on me. Occasionally, I will notice a tick crawling on my clothing. But I have never been bitten. As soon as I return home, the clothes get washed and I take a shower.

We are getting into "Tick Season" on the West Coast of the US. So I started searching for solid, reliable information on ticks, their habits, and how I might protect myself from the diseases they carry.

Some members of the California Department of Health pointed me at a very cool Tick ID card they put out. It is a "business card" that shows life-sized pictures/silhouettes of the three most infectious ticks in California. They depict both the males and females. On the back of the card are pictures and instructions for removing attached ticks.

Showing the different species is important because they carry different diseases. Also it gives you the chance to go "tick watching", if birding is too tame for you. :)

There is a copy of the card as a PDF you can download at the bottom of this page:

Article with tick ID card

After printing it you can trim it, fold it over and laminate it. I keep a copy in all my first-aid kits.

How relevant is it for the UK? I don't know. Perhaps departments of health in the UK put out their own tick ID cards?

My suggestion is to take advantage of your wonderful opportunity to attend a Ray Mears course.

- Woodsorrel

May 21, 2013
United States
I live in the Rockies, plenty of ticks, but it's never been an issue. If you use permethrin on your clothes and 100% deet on any exposed skin you should be pretty safe. You can also get a Tick Key, just in case: www.tickkey.com

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that looks a handy bit of kit :)
Most of us have the otom tick tool thingie, but it's not easy to carry and easily lost, so it ends up in the first aid kits, but something on your keys....which we carry in our pocket, so it'd be right to hand, would be a good thing.

Who sells it in the UK ?

M

Found another type too....Ticked off, that catches the blighter too for those who pop them into little tubes for the freezer in case the bite goes bad.
Looks really easy to carry too :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3106...f11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Last edited:

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
If you take the normal precautions then I cant see a problem, my self I've not had a tick, loads of bites tho.

My way of thinking if your worrying about thing like ticks to that degree then perhaps not really the thing for you. Ticks and things like them are not just on courses but every where, think you answered your own question..

You need a reality check... your just as likely to get a Tick from just walking in the woods/outdoors world...

This may seem harsh but its real life.... there's more dangers out there the Ticks.. manly man made or self made.....

Just get out there and enjoy yourself.. just be aware of them and deal with them as or IF you get one.. :)

do the course Bud you'll have fun, and get out and enjoy the outdoor world.

If you're worried about ticks to the point where you dont want to go on a course I really do not think the outdoors/bushcraft etc is for you.

py6km

Mar 4, 2014
UK
Thanks folks - some useful advice and experience. I'm going to carry on with the course.

BBRaptor

May 25, 2007
Cardiff
It's a brilliant course, you will really enjoy it. I did the course in 2012 and got a few ticks, along with a few other people.

The Woodlore staff will cover this topic with you in depth on the course.

py6km

Mar 4, 2014
UK
It's a brilliant course, you will really enjoy it. I did the course in 2012 and got a few ticks, along with a few other people.

The Woodlore staff will cover this topic with you in depth on the course.

Great - looking forward to it!

Hi all, my first post, so I hope you don't mind me jumping straight in.
I just returned from the course on Sunday so can give some fairly 'fresh' advice. First of all it was an incredible experience and although very hard work, extremely rewarding.
As mentioned, there are ticks in the area, and plenty of deer and habitat for them. However, neither myself nor any of the other 16 members of the group had any ticks. That's not to say it doesn't happen but a combination of repellant, common sense and checking eliminate almost all of the dangers. The teachers are very knowledgable on the subject and are there to help. I was certainly concerned about them as I think everyone should be, but the dangers of ticks can pretty much be avoided.
I really hope you enjoy the course.
Richard

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
No need to be all too worried about ticks. I've had maybe 50 or 60 ticks in the past, sometimes even 5 at a time by sleeping outside. If you know how to treat and remove them properly you're safe in 99% of the cases. Here's a link to how to properly remove a tick:
http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html

In the event you or another course-member is bitten you probably get a free lesson in 'tick-removal'. Once you removed a few ticks yourself your fear will go away.

A good idea is to write down the exact location of the tick on your body and the date you were bitten. In case you get some symptoms it is easier for a doctor to treat any discomforts by knowing the time and location.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
A few years ago, after a couple of warm winters, there were loads of ticks by the river in Lincolnshire where I lived. I used a loop of 3 amp fuse wire to get them off my dogs ( as per usual instructions), so i got a pair of tick tweezers from lifesystems. Never seen a tick since. I think they know (cue music from the Twilight Zone)

http://www.blacks.co.uk/activities/101286-life-systems-tick-remover.html

[I have no affiliation with Blacks or Lifesystems only as a past customer]

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE