Ray Mears' Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Hi,
I've just watched the re-run of Ray Mears' excellent Wild Food. This evening's episode was the one where he stalked a red deer in a highland game park.
Does anyone know what the boots were he was wearing during the stalk? They looked remarkably like Lundhags Professionals to me, but I'm probably wrong.
Tack

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
i have noticed 'Ray' wearing 'LOWA' boots a lot of times, these are great boots well tried and tested.
didnt catch a good look tonight though.

Adam.

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
i have noticed 'Ray' wearing 'LOWA' boots a lot of times, these are great boots well tried and tested.

Adam.
Hi,
No, these were high leg hunting or military type boots with lots of padding around the ankle, they were black too which led me to think they were lundhags.
Tack

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
I noticed this myself, they are Lundhag Pro's for sure, he crosses the stream after finding fresh tracks, nice view of the cellular rubber foot section, not that I'm obsessed or any thing :eek: I have a 20year old pair of the mark1 version with the Herman Munster square toe :D

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough

Adam.

He does recommend "Lowa" boots in his books as well. Hence I bought a pair. Very comfy but would not buy any more - even with Gortex lining they sometimes leek on the ball of the feet, I say sometimes because sometimes you can walk through water no problem and then you get wet feet on another day with wet grass !!!!! :cussing: I cannot explain why or when.

I do clean regularly after use with Nikwax.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I noticed this myself, they are Lundhag Pro's for sure, he crosses the stream after finding fresh tracks, nice view of the cellular rubber foot section, not that I'm obsessed or any thing :eek: I have a 20year old pair of the mark1 version with the Herman Munster square toe :D

I got my Lundhags about 20 years ago too. The square toe and extended heel on mine is so they can be used with cable bindings on ski mountaineering expeds. They're still as good as new.

Eric

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Hi,
I've just ordered a pair of Lundhags Synchros from Tamarack and I must say I can't wait for them to arrive.
Given the cost (£260) I'd be interested to see the price Woodlore sells them at should they decide to offer them...
Tack

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
Its a lot of money for sure, hopefully you'll see it as an investment, and still be happy in 20 years time like Eric and I. I first heard about them being used in The Falklands by a group of Marines who were said to have been the only ones not to get trench foot. I thought " That'll do for me " Woodlore will probably design their own very similar version and flog 'em for £500 a pair :D

:ban:

richardnhunt

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2006
Surrey
I say sometimes because sometimes you can walk through water no problem and then you get wet feet on another day with wet grass !!!!! :cussing: I cannot explain why or when.

I was once told this was because the wet gragg effectively stroked water through the boots - effectively increasing the pressure in a very isolated way. Kind of makes sense - no idea whether it is right or not

Rich

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
Hi,
I've just ordered a pair of Lundhags Synchros from Tamarack and I must say I can't wait for them to arrive.
Given the cost (£260) I'd be interested to see the price Woodlore sells them at should they decide to offer them...
Tack

Hi Tack, I'm so glad to hear that you are pleased with the Lundhags,I can remember doing similar "field testing" when I first got mine, you can use'em just like wellies, but without getting cold feet :D good luck with the move.

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Hi Tack, I'm so glad to hear that you are pleased with the Lundhags,I can remember doing similar "field testing" when I first got mine, you can use'em just like wellies, but without getting cold feet :D good luck with the move.
Hi, and thanks for the kind remarks. Nope, we can't wait, just got to receive the work permits, sell the house, ship our stuff, find somewhere to live and settle into new jobs. Easy really!
Tack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE