Ray Mears book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

Strider

I know how rare these are, but if anyone has a copy of Ray Mears' ''The Survival Handbook'' (first printed 1990 i think) they would be willing to sell, I would be most appreciative.
I've heard it's a pretty good book, and numerous internet searches and second hand book shops have turned up nout.

Cheers,
Strider.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
I managed to get hold of one on e-bay a while back. I searched under Raymond Mears - there were very few bids! Most people probably search under Ray Mears.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
There are very few differences between the first edition and the second - mostly it is a case of cosmetic editing and tidying up of the somewhat rustic style text (though why that was needed I don't know).

If you order the 2nd ed from Woodlore you'll get a signed copy!

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Adi007 said:

Are we talking about the same book? I was refering to 'The Survival Handbook' - A practical Guide to Woodcraft and Woodlore' ISBN 1856481808

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I think so ... apart from the fact that it's now the 2nd ed. ISBN 0091878861

The original was published in 1992 by Rider & Co.
familne said:
Adi007 said:

Are we talking about the same book? I was refering to 'The Survival Handbook' - A practical Guide to Woodcraft and Woodlore' ISBN 1856481808

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Adi007 said:
I think so ... apart from the fact that it's now the 2nd ed. ISBN 0091878861

The original was published in 1992 by Rider & Co.
familne said:
Adi007 said:

I'm confused, this is the book I'm talking about:

book.jpg

It was published in 1990 by The Oxford Illustrated Press. It's not the same as 'The Outdoor Survival Handbook' which was first published, as you say, in 1992.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Ahhh, so there was a book that came before the Outdoor Survival Handbook! :-D I knew that there are two versions of that one, plus an americal version, but i didn't know about this one!

I'll have to keep an eye out for a copy! Looks like it leans heavily towards primitive skills!

Thanks!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Yeah, the Outdoor Survival Handbook is very common, especially now that it has been reprinted. You can get the original from second hand sites too.

The Survival Handbook, however, is very dificult to find and I believe it is considered to be Ray's best book because he was not so "commercial" about what he put into it.

I'm still looking for my copy...

p.s. I have my 1st Ed Outdoor Survival Handbook signed by Ray so :nana:

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
It certainly seems to be a more informative book particularly regarding edible plants etc. It's more for the dedicated bushcraft enthusiast rather than for the general reader.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Actually, with most books, the copyright returns to the author as soon as the publishers decide to no longer publish it ...
boaty said:
We need to get a petition up to Ray to get it reprinted - either that or suggest he gets the copyright returned to him and put it up on the web for free!

S

Strider

Think an email to woodlore is in order??
Considering how many people would like a copy, and the difficulty of obtaining one!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE