Ray Mears at Oakengates

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I'm surprised that this hasn't been reported on already.
I went to the theatre last night, full house, and listened to Ray speak for one and and a half hours without any boredom for me at all. He then took questions for twenty minutes and then signed books for God knows how long.
Excellent evening and he isn't fat; he is very square shaped. Everybody who had a book signed got a few seconds to speak with him and he has the ability to make you feel that he is interested in you.
The slides were grouped by different geographical regions/peoples and each section ended with a slide that summed up that batch for him, and he explained why. He told humorous stories about the people he has met and worked with, without demeaning them, and also about himself. In the questions session he spoke of the assets of "Britishness", specifically politeness, fairness and self depreciation, that are very valuable to the traveller, and how these traits are disappearing. I think I understood what he was saying and his audience was largely over 40, but wondered if younger people would recognise those traits as being around today. I certainly see them only occasionally in the young people, and their parents, that I work with. This only an observation, not a complaint, on my part; the world changes and none of us live in it forever.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I wonted to go to that but by the time I got round to booking it was soled out :( . Glad to here it was a good night, wish I had been there.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I didn't go tho this one 'cos I was in the woods for the weekend. However I have got tickets for Stafford Gatehouse Theatre (which is just as near for me) on Friday 5 October so it might be worth giving them a call. I'm looking forward to it....:)

S

Sambo Rambo

i had courswork... so dad said no which smells but i just got his new book which looks rather good

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I was there too, it was the second time I have been to one of his talks. The first was when he had just don the Real Heroes of Telemark series.

His talk was engaging and intelligent as always. We all enjoyed it. I would go again tomorrow. It followed a slightly different format to the previous talk with no half time drinks.

For the life of me I can't think why people have a problem with him, his programs are easy to watch, interesting and full of info. Also they seem to run continually on satellite TV!

I could have predicted the question about Bruce Parry! Also the reply to how to learn bushcraft - Just get out and do it!

A good night!

Stewey.:D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Glad you enjoyed it guys, how do you fancy doing a write up for the site? If you can do one send it to us and we'll get it up

Thanks
T

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE