raw hide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
i am in the process of making a canoe :) and i need some rawhide to lash it all together. If i go to my local pet shop and buy the biggest rawhide bone i can get will i be able to make some suitable cordage from it?

Another question... If i lash fresh wood with normal string the wood will shrink and the knots will go loose. If i lash fresh wood with rawhide will it go loose or will it shrink enough to keep a good tight hold on the wood?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I don't know about the rawhide bone thing.

What are you making the canoe of? The rawhide will more than likely shrink much faster than the the wood making the bindings loose. It is better to use dried wood that has been left to soak up moisture in a lake for a while. Dead wood can never reconstitute fully and will not shrink as much, but will still be easier to work than dry wood.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
We made some rawhide last weekend. It's not so hard to do.
Here's my son scraping the deer hide.
P0001969.jpg

Rawhide stretches when wet and shrinks as it dries. So, to lash your canoe you need to wet the rawhide stretch it tightly around the wood and when it dries you need to waterproof it with pine pitch or if you don't mind modern chemistry use epoxy.

typha

Mar 31, 2006
Lanarkshire Scotland
weaver said:
Rawhide stretches when wet and shrinks as it dries. So, to lash your canoe you need to wet the rawhide stretch it tightly around the wood and when it dries you need to waterproof it with pine pitch or if you don't mind modern chemistry use epoxy.
Would you recommend rawhide for use on canoes given its tendency to stretch when wet. What do you think would be the best alternatives if not using rawhide?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
If the lashings will mostly be over water, it isn't a problem with using rawhide. Spruce roots are ok. Most trees have fairly good roots. Traditionally in Scandinavia (at least my part) birch roots were used. I have tried pine too, wasn't different from spruce root.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
typha said:
Would you recommend rawhide for use on canoes given its tendency to stretch when wet. What do you think would be the best alternatives if not using rawhide?

Did you read my whole post?
Originally Posted by weaver

when it dries you need to waterproof it with pine pitch or if you don't mind modern chemistry use epoxy
;)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
typha said:

I'd use watape (debarked and split conifer root). It is what is used to lash and sew birchbark canoes. If you need something stronger and more flexible, use wiigob (inner bark of basswood).

PG

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
From what I have heard, Black Spruce gets the longest, most resillient strands. I don't know about rawhide, from my experiences with it around water, I think it would stretch quite a bit for tying a tight frame on a canoe. What Pierre says I'd go with, the guy knows his bushcrafts! :)

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
www.nativeawareness.co.uk
jon r said:
i am in the process of making a canoe :) and i need some rawhide to lash it all together. If i go to my local pet shop and buy the biggest rawhide bone i can get will i be able to make some suitable cordage from it?

Another question... If i lash fresh wood with normal string the wood will shrink and the knots will go loose. If i lash fresh wood with rawhide will it go loose or will it shrink enough to keep a good tight hold on the wood?

Hi Jon.

If youre after large amounts of rawhide, in the next couple of mounths i should be making some red deer rawhide to sell or trade.

James

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I don't know about the suitablility of rawhide as a binding for canoes, but if you are after lots of it you can get it from some of the leather suppliers, such as Leprevo. They sell thonging by the roll! May even sell it by the hide too?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE