Rat shooting Graphic pictures warning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is the rifle running at full power? Might be worth getting it checked at a gunshop.
Hollow point or flat pellets will deliver more energy, as will heavier pellets.

Yup, I'd say hollow points or turn the pellets backwards if possibles. That's what we did as kids, okay for short range

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dave, as you know I shoot a fair bit. A while ago I shot a squirrel at close range with a 410. Its muscle spasms were so great that it flipped a couple of feet in the air. This went on for upwards of 15 seconds. The thing is it literally did not have a head - it was gone. It was in no pain at all its just twitching, don't upset yourself mate, that was a good shot.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks again all.
BR I guess I wasn't sure what to expect from the rat! !
It saddened me that it wasn't .
quite as quick as I'd hoped but still quicker than poison.
I bought some rabbit magnums to try

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...my close friends know how strongly i feel about hurting animals unnecessarily ....instant rage!!!....and i dislike hunters that dont have an extremely strict one-shot-kill mentality....but dude dont go thrashing yourself over this one....as red said below....

one more point....i know for a fact that most large injuries dont usually hurt at the time....at least the ones i've had didnt....and the people i've known with similar backgrounds to me have all said the same....shot....stabbed....hit by a car....just for example....

i wouldnt imagine the rat suffered....surprised in some neural way maybe....but suffer? i doubt it.

i dont consider any animal as vermin as such....apart from some people (eg see above)....but as long as you do what you do for the right reasons and in the right way theres nothing to feel 'bad' about.

regards,

s

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now today I made a real mistake

When you are out controlling rabbits and have a shotgun to hand, and you notice a rabbit in a cage trap you checked earlier it IS worth going back and getting an airgun to slot the rabbit :eek:

I've washed the trap, and fixed the damn great hole in it now :(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Splash - and a 2" hole in the door :(

Homer-Simpson-wingnuts-doh.gif

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
It was dead, it's body just didn't realise. At those short ranges get some flat headed or hollow point pellets! That will help with the energy transfer into the target but being go close it will still almost certainly drill straight through!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE