Rat shooting Graphic pictures warning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok I've had a bit of a rat problem under my bird feeders and on my allotment I posted about this recently.
I have been trying to live catch them but with little success as I'm still struggling to get the trap sensative enough.
Now a friend offered me an air rifle which after getting great advice regarding kill shots bait etc I have used. I had a practice and then fairly confidently set about missing the prey on a handful of occasions! !!
So back to the drawing board...a fiddle with the sites and now I'm happy with my grouping. (AGAIN)
Now a clean kill for me is paramount as I do not take any enjoyment in this its just an unfortunate necessity.
This was probably only a 10 yard shot. The rat once hit proceeded to leap into the air 3 or 4 times which took 3 hits to the head/ neck with a stick to dispatch it!!
The pellet seemed to have gone straight through the rat.
hy5y5uqy.jpg

The pellet was milbro .22 5.5mm twin ring. Should I be looking at a heavier pellet??
I've got to say I was a bit gutted not to have killed it instantly but I guess it's better than a slow death from poison! !!
I know that rats are classed as vermin and pests but don't want a repeat of this if I can help it.
Ta d

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
It was dead after a shot like that, it is very common for animals to twitch and even flip and jump a few times after being shot.

Gooner

Forager
Feb 27, 2014
Kent
Why not set some Fenn traps?
Cover with simple wooden tunnel to stop getting non target species, I have used this on several occasions around my allotment with great results.Main advantage of trap is instant death and they are working 24/7.
Good luck

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
It was dead after a shot like that, it is very common for animals to twitch and even flip and jump a few times after being shot

Agreed, rabbits, rats etc. can behave in a very bizzare manner when shot straight through the brain as their legs still seem to work for a few seconds.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Gooner I will consider that but ill have to find a way to 'make them safe'
Ozzy I did wonder about this as I hit it pretty darn hard three times before it stopped jumping around?? Having no experience of killing I wasn't sure what kind of twitching of nerves I could expect?? If that's what it was it was pretty dramatic.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Reminds me of the time my dad brought me a 'dead' fish to eat. Turned out it wasn't so dead so had to dispatch it, again.

Gutted it, cut the head and tail off and cleaned it all up.Nerves kept firing every few seconds and made it thrash around. Quite unreal watching a fish fillet thrash around the table like its still alive. Put me right off eating it and unfortunately had to waste most of it. Not unlike this little fella:

[video=youtube_share;dxQmOR_QLfQ]http://youtu.be/dxQmOR_QLfQ[/video]

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you're bashing them hard with a stick you need to be sure not to get the blood or urine splashes on you, as that's how the Leptospirosis is transmitted, and you really don't want that!

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i used to kill rats with a black widow catapult and ball bearings mostly they died instantly but now and then you'd get a twitcher that jumped around like mentioned above it was dead just its body didnt know it yet...

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Macaroon it was measured 'bashing' so no blood/ urine splatter. Agreed about Leptospirosis😨

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
What are you shooting with? Is it a full 12ft/lbs rifle? If so that's a bit much for the job. Especially a 10 yards. You'll be having real problems with over penetration. Ideally use something with a bit less power. I used to use a crossman ratcatcher C02 rifle rated at 9ft/lbs and it was absolutely perfect for the job as ratting was exactly what is was made for.

At the very least I'd consider switching to these pellets: http://www.ronniesunshines.com/22-webley-crosman-verminpell-flathead-pellets.html

Maybe shoot from a little further back too. I'm not so sure that rat was an instant kill. Looks below the brain and spine to me but I'm no biologist.

A flat pellet is better for transferring energy which is what makes the kill as opposed to something that goes straight through with the majority of its energy continuing on.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
It's a little low Dave and if the pellet has gone right the way through a lot of energy will have been carried through with it. One GOOD whack with a stick of hockey stick weight will kill a rat, any more is just trying to stop it's nervous response - if in doubt use a shovel instead of a stick. Definitely take the advice above re leptospirosis/weils disease, you definitely don't want it, however, not all rats carry it by a long way.

Heavier pellets are definitely the way forward... the milros are only about 14grains... for short range ratting you want to be as close to half that again ideally!

Try some of these: ebay link - no link to seller!

They're your puppies ;)

Last edited:

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
JR what a star! !
I've taken on board all that has been said and will visit my local gun shop to see if he carries the heavier pellets that have been suggested. If not ill order on line ta again Dave

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Is the rifle running at full power? Might be worth getting it checked at a gunshop.
Hollow point or flat pellets will deliver more energy, as will heavier pellets.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE