Rare phenononom

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Went out to my workshop the other day and noticed all these spiders , they appear to have been mummified by a wierd fungus , very bizare
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
Any body know anything more about this kind of thing /
Pumbaa

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Done a bit of googling and found this ....

Metarhizium anisopliae

The spores attach to insects and germinate, using enzymes known as chitinases to bore through the exoskeleton :eek: Once inside the insect, the mycelium grows and produces a host of chemicals. These include destruxins, a class of hexadepsipeptides that compromise calcium ion channel function and are immunosuppressive, and cytochalasins,:confused: , a class of compounds that affect cell mitosis. Other compounds, still being investigated, affect protozoans living in the insects' gut that are necessary to digest cellulose. In the end, the weakened insects die as the mycelium takes over.

The dead insects look mummified with the fuzzy mycelium, and they become a launching platform for more fungal spores. In the sexual form of the fungus, a tiny club-shaped Cordyceps mushroom grows from the insect carcass. The dead insects left in a decimated colony ward off subsequent insect invasions because the carcasses remain moldy with the repellent spores.

All lifted from this article

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/science/84/8449sci5.html

HTH

Rich

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Not keen on spiders myself (they can sense my fear and that attracts them to my tent !!) but that description is a mighty nasty way to go. I hope that stuff doesn't find a liking for humans!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE