Rambo Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA
united still makes the replica lile from the first film and all of the hibben iterations.

the last time i looked.

if you could find the buck on ebay or at a dealer you'd get a well-made, big, honkin' knife.
much better manufacture than the united products.

if you save your money you could get a hollow handle, sawtooth randlall astronaut model.

none of the reeve knives had the teeth but are amazingly strong and usable.

i bought one of my brothers the hibben version of fb1.
he was of the opinion that knives, especially big knives were just plain @#$%^&&* stupid.

he opened the package.
held the blade in his hand.
started smiling.
i swear i heard him say, "there can only be one!".

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA
I like the look of that but why on earth would you need torx bits to survive?

i've often wondered why a person would think that the only place they'd need to survive was in an arboreal, paleolithic environment.

way back when tim leatherman called his tool a survival tool, i said huh?!!? he was more right than i could have imagined.

with a pair of vise-grips and some tin snips i could manufacure enough "survival" hardware to equip a small army just from the litter i saw when i walked the dogs this morning.

but to answer your question most of my larger folders use torx screws to hold them together.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
i've often wondered why a person would think that the only place they'd need to survive was in an arboreal, paleolithic environment.

way back when tim leatherman called his tool a survival tool, i said huh?!!? he was more right than i could have imagined...

I agree with your philosophy but----Leatherman began calling his tool a survival tool later to increase sales. He originally designed it to carry on mountain biking races where survival was low priority.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I heard the Leatherman was first thought of whilst economy travelling by train through Europe, Leatherman though gee a knife with a pair of pliers would be useful for fixing his rucksack which had broken in some way. But of the two Leatherman's I have had, the original bought way back in 1990 from the one of the ad's in an air gun magazine and my current Juice Xe6 bought off a squaddie who had found it a little weak for his requirement in Afghanistan, I have to say they are something and nothing, okay for light duty work, but useless when it comes to more demanding stuff, even using it at work,( C17th smithy) one has to be careful with it, it's weakness is obvious and it gets used when it is not convenient to go and find a more proficient tool, as it is in it's pouch on the belt and not in a tool box somewhere.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Tims first 'Leatherman' tool was designed after he and his wife traveled Europe and the Middle East in 1975. They were often attempting to use a simple pocket knife to repair their repeatedly malfunctioning car and leaky hotel plumbing. After that he spent several years perfecting what he then called the "Mr. Crunch" prototype...

leatherman1.jpg

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I heard the Leatherman was first thought of whilst economy travelling by train through Europe, Leatherman though gee a knife with a pair of pliers would be useful for fixing his rucksack which had broken in some way...

Your explanation is certainly as plausible as mine. I based mine on what the company put out in it's official literature years ago. I suppose it could be advertising hype, i really don't know.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Your explanation is certainly as plausible as mine. I based mine on what the company put out in it's official literature years ago. I suppose it could be advertising hype, i really don't know.

It doesn't really matter, but what they have done is inspired other makers to produce their interpretations, the likes of Gerber with the 600 multiplier and the one I want, the SOG Powerlock because the ability to lock the tools in place is really useful and that leverage mechanism, I could find a use for that. The juice I have, is more of a camping/travel tool or something to be used for light duty only.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, I've never used mine for anything heavy duty either (I suspect it would easily stand up to heavier use than I've put it to on the flightline) As you say, it's a light and compact tool of convenience. The EOD troops seem to especially like them.

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA
Yeah, I've never used mine for anything heavy duty either (I suspect it would easily stand up to heavier use than I've put it to on the flightline) As you say, it's a light and compact tool of convenience. The EOD troops seem to especially like them.

the tool is great for what it is, but the truth is it's just a quality set of long-nose pliers.
the tips are as fragile as any other, even with the redesigned profile.
as long as a person uses them and refrains from abusing them the darn things should last for a long time.

it's funny, i carried one set or another for years at work and never broke any of them.
yet i snapped kleins, crescents and jensens with relative impunity.
do you suppose that was because i had to use my own money for the leathermans or were they just a superior tool?

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
And because of this thread, I have dug my Xe6 out and noticed the rust, testimony to last weekends rain, so time for a clean and lube, but my Xe6 has the pink ano scales and to think I bought that thing off a squaddie serving in Afghanistan, what was he thinking, desert camo.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
A good workman never abuses the tools he has to use and even more so when he has to buy his own, but if the tool at hand is not designed for the job in hand the tool being used is being abused and so don't be surprised if it fails and leaves you without. My Xe6 the pliers became very loose but the problem was sorted in exactly the same way Snap-On loose pliers were sorted by the vendor when the guarantee was called, quite simply punch the metal to expand the pivot pin and hey presto the pliers are good to go again. The same with the corkscrew which is a bit weedy compared to a Victorinox swiss army knife, simply welly the aluminum pivot pin to expand the metal and the corksrew has stopped slopping around. Very impressed with the scissors on the Xe6 though and two blades as well and in fact every feature on that tool has been used as I use it around the house for general repairs and I have just discovered the awl on it can be used for sewing lock stitches, great for running repairs on leather and canvas.

Aug 4, 2012
Louisiana, USA
I am a fire captain here in the states and carry the leatherman charge while on duty. There have been many occasions where I have used it from cutting battery wires on motor vehicle accidents to fixing alarm systems and keeping me from having to send a private back to the truck to get a screw driver or pliers. Cool tool!

As for the Rambo knife, unless you get one of the original Jimmy Liles made or those licensed to be made after his death by his son I think, you will be getting a cheap tool indeed. I have seen many of them break at the handle including the more expensive ones. If you want a knife with the storage tube as mentioned a Chris Reevse one piece is what to look for but again good luck since he no longer makes them as of 2009. I have one and its a cool fun knife to play with.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
A Lile won't break at the handle. That is a myth. The physics employed in the way they are engineered means that part is the strongest on the knife and it is almost impossible to break it there. Even if you lever it and try to break it, the blade will snap further down and well away from the handle because of the fulcrum effect and pivot point being shifted. It won't snap at the handle, that is next to impossible on a high end Lile. One of the really cheap UC or MC copies maybe, because of the steel and lower end manufacturing process. But certainly not on a licenced Lile from V Neeley, Andy Wood, or even a BlackStarr, Farid or Matton blade. There is not a single case of any of these blades breaking at the handle. There is a case of the blade tip snapping, but that is it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE